Want to participate in a short research study? Help shape the future of investing tools and you could win a $250 gift card!
Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) is a true Dividend Rock Star. Its yield of 4.1% makes it one of the market’s top dividend payer. In the past ten years, Harley-Davidson has also grown its dividend from $0.40 to $1.48. Below, I have outlined more attractive dividend aspects for Harley-Davidson for income investors who may be interested in new dividend stocks for their portfolio.
What Is A Dividend Rock Star?
It is a stock that pays a stable and consistent dividend, having done so reliably for the past decade with the expectation of this continuing into the future. More specifically:
- It is paying an annual yield above 75% of dividend payers
- It has paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past
- Its has increased its dividend per share amount over the past
- It can afford to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings
- It is able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future
High Yield And Dependable
The company’s dividend yield stands at 4.1%, which is high for Auto stocks. But the real reason Harley-Davidson stands out is because it has a proven track record of continuously paying out this level of dividends, from earnings, to shareholders and can be expected to continue paying in the future. This is a highly desirable trait for a stock holding if you’re investor who wants a robust cash inflow from your portfolio over a long period of time.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. In the case of HOG it has increased its DPS from $0.40 to $1.48 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. This is an impressive feat, which makes HOG a true dividend rockstar.
The company currently pays out 46% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 45% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of 4.6%. Moreover, EPS is forecasted to fall to $3.08 in the upcoming year.
If you want to dive deeper into the sustainability of a certain payout ratio, you may wish to consider the cash flow of the business. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
Investors of Harley-Davidson can continue to expect strong dividends from the stock. With its favorable dividend characteristics, if high income generation is still the goal for your portfolio, then Harley-Davidson is one worth keeping around. However, given this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. I’ve put together three pertinent aspects you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for HOG’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for HOG’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is HOG worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether HOG is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there strong dividend payers with better fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.