On the 01 October 2018, Hawthorn Bancshares Inc (NASDAQ:HWBK) will be paying shareholders an upcoming dividend amount of US$0.10 per share. However, investors must have bought the company’s stock before 13 September 2018 in order to qualify for the payment. That means you have only 3 days left! Is this future income stream a compelling catalyst for dividend investors to think about the stock as an investment today? Let’s take a look at Hawthorn Bancshares’s most recent financial data to examine its dividend characteristics in more detail.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
If you are a dividend investor, you should always assess these five key metrics:
- Is its annual yield among the top 25% of dividend-paying companies?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Will the company be able to keep paying dividend based on the future earnings growth?
Does Hawthorn Bancshares pass our checks?
Hawthorn Bancshares has a trailing twelve-month payout ratio of 40.6%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. The reality facing HWBK investors is that whilst it has continued to pay shareholders dividend, there has not been any increase in the level of dividends paid in the past decade. Though this may not be a serious red flag, strong dividend stocks should always strive to increase its payout over time.
Relative to peers, Hawthorn Bancshares produces a yield of 1.7%, which is on the low-side for Banks stocks.
If Hawthorn Bancshares is in your portfolio for cash-generating reasons, there may be better alternatives out there. But if you are not exclusively a dividend investor, the stock could still be an interesting investment opportunity. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. Below, I’ve compiled three fundamental aspects you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for HWBK’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for HWBK’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is HWBK worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether HWBK is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.