Can you walk into your bank?
It might seem like a strange question, but for people whose checking and savings accounts are held by online banks such as Ally and ING Direct, the answer is no. And that's a good thing.
Magnify Money, an educational financial website founded by two former bankers, pledges to "put $1 billion back in the pockets of everyday Americans by making it simple to understand the fine print." In their five core "tenants to beating the banks at their own game," they recommend bailing on brick-and-mortar banks for fee-free online accounts.
In the infographic below, based on the company's recent survey, they explain why:
More From Business Insider
- If You Stopped Saving Today, Here's How Long It Would Take To Retire Comfortably
- 5 Basic Ways To Lower Your Student Loan Payments
- 17 Tips For Quickly Paying Down Student Loans, From Someone Who Paid Off $74,000 In 2 Years
- 70% Of Americans Don't Understand This Basic Savings Tool
- Here's Why You Need About $7,000 Set Aside For Your Death