MARLBOROUGH, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Company to host timely educational panel on breast density featuring leading clinicians
Hologic, Inc. (HOLX), an innovative medical technology company primarily focused on improving women's health and well-being, will showcase its comprehensive portfolio of healthcare solutions at the 67th Annual American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Clinical and Scientific Meeting. The meeting takes place in Nashville, Tennessee, from May 3 to 6.
“Each year, we look forward to engaging with OB-GYNs who are critical partners of ours in improving the health and well-being of women around the globe,” said Steve MacMillan, Chairman, President and CEO of Hologic. “Beyond showcasing our latest products and innovations, we’re looking forward to leading a timely discussion on the significant role breast density can play in cancer detection, so OB-GYNs can feel confident discussing this important topic with their patients.”
The panel, “Are You Prepared? A Date with Breast Density,” will take place on May 4 from 5:15 to 6:00 p.m. in room 103 of the Music City Center. It will feature an engaging discussion of the risks associated with breast density, appropriate screening pathways, and updates to legislation. Meg Eckenroad, Hologic’s Vice President of Women’s Health & Professional Relations, will moderate the panel, which will include Dr. Regina Hooley, Associate Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging and Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs at Yale New Haven Hospital; and Dr. DaCarla Albright, Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology at Penn Medicine. The panel comes on the heels of the FDA’s proposed rule to update the Mammography Quality Standards Act, which highlights the risks of breast density and emphasizes important advances in mammography technology.
Hologic’s booth will showcase the Company’s comprehensive portfolio of women’s health products from its four divisions, including:
- Breast & Skeletal Health Solutions: Hologic’s Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam is the only mammogram that detects more invasive cancers, reduces false positives, and is FDA approved as superior to conventional 2D mammography for all women, including those with dense breasts.1,2,3 Hologic also will exhibit its SmartCurve™ breast stabilization system, which is offered exclusively with the Genius exam and is clinically proven to deliver a more comfortable mammogram without compromising image quality, workflow, or dose.4 Hologic’s skeletal health portfolio will also be displayed, including the BodyLogic™ scan, which is available on the Horizon® DXA system.
- Gynecological Surgical Solutions: New innovations on display will include the Omni™ hysteroscope, a three-in-one modular scope with advanced visualization capabilities designed for both diagnostic and therapeutic hysteroscopic procedures; the Fluent® fluid management system, designed to provide operating room (OR) staff with simplified and effective fluid management to support hysteroscopic procedures; and Nitronox™, a nitrous oxide and oxygen analgesia system to support a variety of in-office medical and aesthetic procedures where pain management and anxiety are a concern.
- Diagnostic Solutions: Hologic’s Aptima® Mycoplasma genitalium assay was granted FDA clearance in January, becoming the first and only FDA-cleared test to detect Mycoplasma genitalium, an under-recognized but increasingly common sexually transmitted infection (STI). This newest Aptima assay joins a growing suite of market-leading tests offered by Hologic to help combat the rise of STIs in the U.S. The division is also continuing its We Can Change This STAT initiative, which aims to reduce the number of cervical cancer deaths by empowering women to commit to regular annual exams and ask their doctors about testing with Pap+HPV Together.5 Additional information is available at ChangeThisSTAT.com.
- Medical Aesthetics Solutions: Cynosure, Hologic’s medical aesthetics division, will demonstrate its latest innovation, TempSure® Surgical RF technology. Launched in December, TempSure Surgical technology lessens the sparking and charring normally experienced during procedures, resulting in quicker recovery. The system is designed to improve patient satisfaction and aesthetic outcomes, and can be used by clinicians across a variety of specialties including plastic surgery, dermatology, gynecology, and ophthalmology. The booth will also feature SculpSure®, a clinically proven, non-surgical body contouring (lipolysis) treatment designed to permanently eliminate fat cells in problem areas; and the Icon™ aesthetic system, which offers fast, state-of-the art treatments for vessel and pigment clearance, surgical and acne scarring, stretch marks, wrinkle reduction, and permanent hair reduction.
Products will be on display in Booth 1510 at the Music City Center.
Hologic, Inc. is an innovative medical technology company primarily focused on improving women's health and well-being through early detection and treatment. For more information on Hologic, visit www.hologic.com.
This news release may contain forward-looking information that involves risks and uncertainties, including statements about the use of Hologic products. There can be no assurance these products will achieve the benefits described herein or that such benefits will be replicated in any particular manner with respect to an individual patient, as the actual effect of the use of the products can only be determined on a case-by-case basis. In addition, there can be no assurance that these products will be commercially successful or achieve any expected level of sales. Hologic expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to release publicly any updates or revisions to any such statements presented herein to reflect any change in expectations or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any such data or statements are based.
Hologic, 3D, 3D Mammography, Aptima, BodyLogic, Fluent, Genius, Horizon, Icon, MyoSure, NovaSure, Omni, SmartCurve, SculpSure, TempSure, and The Science of Sure are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hologic, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Nitronox is a trademark of Porter Instrument, Parker Hannifin Corporation.
SOURCE: Hologic, Inc.
The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam (a.k.a. Genius™ exam) is acquired on the Hologic® 3D Mammography™ system and consists of a 2D and 3D™ image set, where the 2D image can be either an acquired 2D image or a 2D image generated from the 3D™ image set. The Genius™ exam is only available on the Hologic® 3D Mammography™ system. Please consult your physician for a complete list of benefits and risks associated with mammography.
- Results from Friedewald, SM, et al. "Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography." JAMA 311.24 (2014): 2499-2507; a multi-site (13), non-randomized, historical control study of 454,000 screening mammograms investigating the initial impact the introduction of the Hologic Selenia® Dimensions ® on screening outcomes. Individual results may vary. The study found an average 41% (95% CI: 20-65%) increase and that 1.2 (95% CI: 0.8-1.6) additional invasive breast cancers per 1000 screening exams were found in women receiving combined 2D FFDM and 3D™ mammograms acquired with the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system versus women receiving 2D FFDM mammograms only.
- Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M, et. al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1105-13.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration Premarket Approval (PMA). FDA.gov https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfpma/pma.cfm?id=P080003S005 accessed June 5, 2017.
- Smith, A. Improving Patient Comfort in Mammography. Hologic WP-00119 Rev 001 (2017).
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Practice bulletin No. 157: Cervical cancer screening and prevention. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2016;127(1):185-7.