SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - Jun 19, 2013) -
Core News Facts:
- HotelTonight (www.hoteltonight.com), the leading last-minute hotel booking app, today revealed its first-ever "HT Travel Report." This forecast, released the first official week of summer, provides insight into travel trends during the busy summer vacation months.
- HotelTonight's Head of Data Science pulled proprietary data to determine the expected summer hotspots for 2013, the best places to find a deal and more. According to historical and predictive booking data, HotelTonight found:
- The top five predicted summer destinations for 2013: New York City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago.
- A Facebook poll of over 1000 people, conducted by HotelTonight, found that 49% of respondents were planning a road trip this summer. The top five predicted summer road-trip destinations for 2013 are: Las Vegas, Palm Springs, Atlantic City, Santa Barbara and Myrtle Beach.
- Best destinations to get a hotel deal this summer (with savings up to 70% off average rates) include: Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Springs, Houston and Austin.
- Destinations that may break the bank this summer (with rates up to 60% higher than the rest of the year) include: Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City, Boston, Newport and Napa.
- A few insider tips from HotelTonight:
- Sundays, on average this summer, will be the most inexpensive days to book last-minute stays.
- Most big cities are offering great deals the week of 4th of July -- make sure to check out NYC that week; HotelTonight is expecting to see rooms at $100 USD or less!).
- Destinations like Florida, Texas and New Orleans offer lower rates in the summer months, so consider taking a trip to the South to avoid breaking the bank.
- If you're dying to visit a hot vacation destination like Newport or Atlantic City, try to schedule it mid-week to save. Weekday (Sun-Thurs) rates in Atlantic City are 70% cheaper and rates in Newport are 40% cheaper on average than Saturdays in the summer.
- A survey, conducted by HotelTonight, also found:
- Spontaneous travel is increasingly popular -- 35% of respondents will start their summer travel planning only a week or so in advance, while more than 20% plan to decide where to go and what to do the day they leave.
- 62% of respondents said that they were "much more likely" to use a mobile device (smartphone or tablet) to book summer travel this year, compared to last.
- The data listed above was taken from HotelTonight mobile app bookings, as well as a survey of HT bookers.
- HotelTonight is now live in more than 100 destinations across the globe, and recently added more than twenty new summer hotspots to its roster of vibrant cities worldwide.
- To tie in with the peak travel season in Europe, HotelTonight recently added popular European destinations including Lille, Lyon and Marseille in France; Barcelona, Madrid and Malaga/Costa del Sol in Spain; Florence, Rome and Milan in Italy; and the South Coast in Ireland.
- The last-minute hotel booking app is also now offering its five million-plus global users new North American summer hot spot destinations, including Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and San Juan, Puerto Rico, and will launch in the Jersey Shore later this month.
- Book last-minute and save with HotelTonight this summer! Download the app for free on iPhone, iPad and any Android device here: www.hoteltonight.com/now.
How HotelTonight Works:
- Each day at noon local time, HotelTonight offers last-minute hotel rooms at great values in over 100 destinations across the globe.
- Hotel rooms can be easily booked via the app in less than 10 seconds -- just three taps and a swipe from app launch to completed booking. Guests can book up to a five-night stay on the app.
- All hotels are personally vetted by HotelTonight staff, given a style category (like Basic, Hip or Luxe) and illustrated by mobile-optimized hotel photos.
- Rooms can be booked until 2 a.m. local time.
Colin Zima, Head of Data Science, HotelTonight:
"From our current and historical data, collected since HotelTonight's launch in 2011, we have some really interesting and insightful information we use to predict travel patterns this summer. With this knowledge, we're able to point travelers in the right direction, showing them where and how to score great last-minute hotel rates and make this their best, most spontaneous summer ever."
HotelTonight was launched in 2011 to provide easy mobile booking of same-day unsold hotel inventory. For consumers, HotelTonight offers incredible convenience and amazing value at quality hotels. For hotels, HotelTonight is a marketplace to fill last-minute rooms that would otherwise remain empty. HotelTonight is currently available in over 100 destinations across the globe. Based in San Francisco, California with a London-based European office, HotelTonight is backed by some of the top venture firms and travel-industry pioneers in the world. Visit www.hoteltonight.com for more information and to download the free app.