U.S. Markets open in 3 hrs 44 mins

Ibini: It's amazing to be back

After almost 18 months on the sidelines, the pacy winger returned with a bang in Australia's capital against a plucky Canberra Olympic

Bernie Ibini was delighted to have got back on the park, and even happier to have scored in Sydney FC's 3-0 FFA Cup semi-final win over Canberra Olympic.

The win saw the Sky Blues qualify for their first FFA Cup final, where they will face either Melbourne Victory or Melbourne City, who face off on Tuesday in the second semi-final.

Wednesday night's match in Canberra was Ibini's first game after a broken leg in mid-2015 sent his career into a tailspin while at Club Brugge. 

"It's obviously amazing for me to be finally back on the pitch," Ibini told Fox Sports after the game.

"The medical staff helped me massively and I can't thank them enough.

"And then to top it off with a goal, yeah, it's definitely been a great night."

Ibini came on in the 70th minute and bagged Sydney's third goal after Seb Ryall and Milos Dimitrijevic had put the visitors on track for victory at Viking Park.

But it wasn't all one-way traffic, with Olympic battling hard for the opening hour of the match and with a bit more composure could have scored before Dimitrijevic made it 2-0 for Sydney.

"They made it difficult for us. Getting players in behind the ball and playing on the counter," Sydney coach Graham Arnold told Fox Sports.

"And as you saw, they were dangerous on the counter. The longer it was 1-0 and they stayed in the game they kept on fighting.

"The occasion was good for Canberra football and they should be very, very proud of their performance."

Olympic coach Frank Cachia added: "We got the performance and they really put in a great shift.

"We fell asleep at a set piece [for Ryall's first-half goal] and the boys probably will believe they deserved a goal, but I can't be prouder of them. 

"But hats off to Sydney." 

The semi-final win continues Sydney's strong start to the 2016-17 campaign, with the Sky Blues having won their opening two A-League matches 4-0 ahead of their trip to Wellington Phoenix on Sunday.