Best-in-class Infinera Groove G30 Network Disaggregation Platform Offers New Capabilities to Enhance Optical Network Efficiency, Reliability and Flexibility
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Nov. 28, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Infinera, provider of Intelligent Transport Networks, announced today significant enhancements to the open line system (OLS) capabilities of the Infinera Groove G30 Network Disaggregation Platform. The Groove G30 employs a modular sled-based architecture that enables network planners to easily configure optical transport functionality in a performance- and cost-optimized way within an ultra-dense one rack unit (1RU) platform. The new Infinera Groove G30 OLS capabilities enable network operators to enhance optical network scalability and configuration flexibility as end-user services drive increased demand for network capacity.
Open line systems, like the Groove G30, disaggregate wavelength-division multiplexing transport into best-in-class functional blocks with open application programming interfaces and end-to-end software-defined network management and control. With an OLS architecture, network operators can reduce vendor lock-in and speed innovation, while lowering capital and operational expenditures.
Key features and benefits of the Groove G30 OLS enhancements include:
- Optical protection switching (OPSM): New compact pluggable comprising a single optical protection switch that provides a cost-effective option for protecting against interface and amplifier failures and fiber cuts
- Colorless, flexible grid add/drop (CAD8/8E): New compact 8-channel pluggable, service-expandable to 16 channels, that provides colorless, flexible grid add/drop to enable the deployment of high baud rate of 64 quadrature amplitude modulation (64QAM) without the need for more expensive reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexer (ROADM) architectures
- Optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR): New compact pluggable that supports both in-service and out-of-service OTDR on up to four fibers with distances of up to 100 kilometers, enabling fiber cuts to be quickly located
- In-line amplifier (ILA): Leveraging the existing range of pluggable erbium-doped fiber amplifiers, the Groove G30 OLS can now be deployed as a compact in-line amplifier, providing a cost-effective solution for interconnecting data centers over longer distances comprised of multiple fiber spans
- Optical power monitoring (OCM): New compact pluggable providing per-channel power monitoring on four ports (i.e. two degrees in two directions) that enhances optical layer monitoring, fast fault detection and isolation and proactive troubleshooting
- 64-port 75 gigahertz (GHz) mux/demux (OMD64): New capabilities that leverage 75 GHz grid filters to support high-baud-rate wavelengths up to 64QAM 600 gigabits per second, with up to 64 wavelengths per filter enabling scalability to 38.4 terabits per second per fiber pair
“The expanded capabilities of the Groove G30 reinforce our commitment to this industry-leading platform and demonstrate the benefits customers realize with open optical transport,” said Julia Larikova, Principal Product Manager for Optical Layer at Infinera. “As end-user applications continue to drive demand for infrastructure capacity, our open line solutions provide an optimal means to scale efficiently while reducing costs.”
The Groove G30 Network Disaggregation Platform is part of Infinera’s expanded suite of packet-optical networking solutions.
Tel. +1 (916) 595-8157
Tel: + 1 (408) 213-7150
Infinera (INFN) provides Intelligent Transport Networks, enabling carriers, cloud operators, governments and enterprises to scale network bandwidth, accelerate service innovation and automate optical network operations. Infinera’s end-to-end packet-optical portfolio is designed for long-haul, subsea, data center interconnect and metro applications. To learn more about Infinera visit www.infinera.com, follow us on Twitter @Infinera and read our latest blog posts at blog.infinera.com.
Infinera and the Infinera logo are registered trademarks of Infinera Corporation.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, but not limited to the technical, operational and financial benefits that the Groove G30 may provide. These statements are not guarantees of results and should not be considered as an indication of future activity or future performance. Actual results may vary materially from these expectations as a result of various risks and uncertainties. Information about these risks and uncertainties, and other risks and uncertainties that affect Infinera’s business, is contained in the risk factors section and other sections of Infinera’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the quarter and year ended September 29, 2018 as filed with the SEC on November 8, 2018, as well subsequent reports filed with or furnished to the SEC. These reports are available on Infinera’s website at www.infinera.com and the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. Infinera assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements.