OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jun 13, 2013) - The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) today announced the prescribed annual interest rates that will apply to any amounts owed to the CRA and to any amounts the CRA owes to individuals and corporations. These rates are calculated quarterly in accordance with applicable legislation and will be in effect from July 1, 2013 to September 30, 2013. There have been no changes to the prescribed interest rates since last quarter.
- The interest rate charged on overdue taxes, Canada Pension Plan contributions, and Employment Insurance premiums will be 5%.
- The interest rate to be paid on corporate taxpayers overpayments will be 1%.
- The interest rate to be paid on non-corporate taxpayers overpayments will be 3%.
- The interest rate used to calculate taxable benefits for employees and shareholders from interest-free and low-interest loans will be 1%.
Other taxes, duties, or charges
The interest rates on overdue and overpaid remittances are as follows:
|Tax, duty, or other charges||Overdue remittances||Overpaid remittances|
|Corporate taxpayers||Non corporate taxpayers|
|Goods and Services Tax (GST)||5%||1%||3%|
|Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)||5%||1%||3%|
|Air Travellers Security Charge||5%||1%||3%|
|Excise Tax (non GST/HST)||5%||1%||3%|
|Excise Duty (except Brewer Licensees)||5%||1%||3%|
|Excise Duty (Brewer Licensees)||3%||N/A||N/A|
|Softwood Lumber Products Export Charge||5%||1%||3%|
For information on the prescribed interest rates of other calendar quarters, visit www.cra.gc.ca/interestrates.
To receive updates when new information is added to our Web site, you can:
- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.