Have you been keeping an eye on Bar Harbor Bankshares’s (NYSEMKT:BHB) upcoming dividend of US$0.20 per share payable on the 14 September 2018? Then you only have 2 days left before the stock starts trading ex-dividend on the 13 August 2018. Is this future income stream a compelling catalyst for dividend investors to think about the stock as an investment today? Let’s take a look at Bar Harbor Bankshares’s most recent financial data to examine its dividend characteristics in more detail.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
Whenever I am looking at a potential dividend stock investment, I always check these five metrics:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Has its dividend been stable over the past (i.e. no missed payments or significant payout cuts)?
- Has dividend per share amount increased over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will the company be able to keep paying dividend based on the future earnings growth?
Does Bar Harbor Bankshares pass our checks?
The company currently pays out 37.03% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. BHB has increased its DPS from $0.46 to $0.80 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. This is an impressive feat, which makes BHB a true dividend rockstar.
Compared to its peers, Bar Harbor Bankshares has a yield of 2.70%, which is on the low-side for Banks stocks.
Considering the dividend attributes we analyzed above, Bar Harbor Bankshares is definitely worth keeping an eye on for someone looking to build a dedicated income portfolio. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. Below, I’ve compiled three fundamental factors you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for BHB’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for BHB’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is BHB worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether BHB is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.