Have you been keeping an eye on IBERIABANK Corporation’s (NASDAQ:IBKC) upcoming dividend of US$0.39 per share payable on the 26 October 2018? Then you only have 4 days left before the stock starts trading ex-dividend on the 27 September 2018. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I examine IBERIABANK’s latest financial data to analyse its dividend characteristics.
5 questions I ask before picking a dividend stock
Whenever I am looking at a potential dividend stock investment, I always check these five metrics:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Based on future earnings growth, will it be able to continue to payout dividend at the current rate?
How does IBERIABANK fare?
The company currently pays out 48.2% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting lower payout ratio of 22.1%, leading to a dividend yield of around 1.9%. However, EPS should increase to $6.4, meaning that the lower payout ratio does not necessarily implicate a lower dividend payment.
When thinking about whether a dividend is sustainable, another factor to consider is the cash flow. A business with strong cash flow can sustain a higher divided payout ratio than a company with weak cash flow.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. IBKC has increased its DPS from $1.36 to $1.56 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. These are all positive signs of a great, reliable dividend stock.
Compared to its peers, IBERIABANK has a yield of 1.9%, which is on the low-side for Banks stocks.
Taking into account the dividend metrics, IBERIABANK ticks most of the boxes as a strong dividend investment, putting it in my list of top dividend payers. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. There are three essential aspects you should further examine:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for IBKC’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for IBKC’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is IBKC worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether IBKC is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.