Want to participate in a short research study? Help shape the future of investing tools and you could win a $250 gift card!
A large part of investment returns can be generated by dividend-paying stock given their role in compounding returns over time. Historically, Kewaunee Scientific Corporation (NASDAQ:KEQU) has paid a dividend to shareholders. It currently yields 2.4%. Does Kewaunee Scientific tick all the boxes of a great dividend stock? Below, I’ll take you through my analysis.
5 checks you should use to assess a dividend stock
If you are a dividend investor, you should always assess these five key metrics:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Based on future earnings growth, will it be able to continue to payout dividend at the current rate?
How well does Kewaunee Scientific fit our criteria?
The current trailing twelve-month payout ratio for the stock is 37%, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. A business with strong cash flow can sustain a higher divided payout ratio than a company with weak cash flow.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. KEQU has increased its DPS from $0.32 to $0.76 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. This is an impressive feat, which makes KEQU a true dividend rockstar.
Compared to its peers, Kewaunee Scientific generates a yield of 2.4%, which is high for Medical Equipment stocks but still below the market’s top dividend payers.
Taking into account the dividend metrics, Kewaunee Scientific ticks most of the boxes as a strong dividend investment, putting it in my list of top dividend payers. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. I’ve put together three essential aspects you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for KEQU’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for KEQU’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is KEQU worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether KEQU is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.