SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - Oct 21, 2014) -
Core News Facts:
- Today, Kuna (www.GetKuna.com) launched the first effective break-in prevention solution. Kuna is a smart WiFi camera with intercom built in to an outdoor light fixture that detects people coming to your door and lets you see and interact with them through your smartphone.
- In the age of the connected home, Kuna is your digital doorman, notifying you via an alert to your smartphone when someone comes to your home and letting you interact with them no matter where you are in the world.
- The Kuna app, available on iOS and Android, is the control center for Kuna. It confirms when loved ones and caregivers arrive at home and lets you to see who is at your door, interact with them through a speaker and mic in the light fixture, avoid opening the door for unwanted visitors, use pre-recorded greetings or alarms, control the light and alert you to deliveries dropped at your door.
- With Kuna, your light becomes a smart light, empowering you to turn it on and off remotely, set a schedule, or automatically turn on in dusk-to-dawn mode or in response to motion.
- Kuna provides peace of mind and convenience with an always-on device that distinguishes between people coming, going, and staying at the door through patent-protected technology to minimize unwanted alerts.
- Kuna is easy to install in approximately 15 minutes and doesn't require you to run additional wiring or worry about power supply because it replaces any exterior wall-mounted light fixture.
- Key features include:
- Clarity of 720p HD video, 116-degree field-of-view wide-angle lens
- Video streamed to smartphones through Kuna's secure web servers
- Power via standard 120VAC through the mounted light fixture
- High-quality aluminum and glass fixture with a plastic base (for increased WiFi connectivity)
- 24/7 connectivity to the camera from anywhere your phone has internet
- Kuna offers three styles of light fixtures: the Contemporary, the Craftsman and the Traditional, each in black matte or oil rubbed bronze starting at $269.
- To build the Kuna community of beta testers and early adopters, Kuna is launching an Indiegogo (www.getkuna.com/indiegogo) crowdfunding campaign, offering special pre-order pricing starting at $99; shipments will reach customers in Spring 2015.
- Founded by Sai-Wai Fu and Haomiao Huang, Kuna is an early-stage company that brings years of experience as domain experts in digital video and robotics, Sai-Wai with his Emmy win for enabling live digital broadcasts and Haomiao for his work on quadrotor drones.
Key Industry Statistics and Facts
- According to the FBI, burglaries occur on average, every 15 seconds (FBI Crime Reports).
- Victims of burglaries suffered an estimated $4.7 billion in property losses in 2012; overall the average dollar loss per burglary was $2,230 (FBI Uniform Crime Reports).
- Burglaries of residential properties accounted for 74.5 percent of all burglary offenses (FBI Uniform Crime Reports).
- Seventy-two percent of home burglaries occurred when the residents were away (DOJ National Crime Victimization Survey).
- By 2022, the average household will own roughly 50 Internet-connected devices, up from approximately 10 today (Reuters).
- In a survey of 2,000 respondents, 62 percent ranked security and home monitoring as the biggest benefit to having a smart home. Another 35 percent said convenience was a benefit (Lowe's Smart Home Survey).
Sai-Wai Fu, Founder & CEO, Kuna
"After I came face-to-face with potential burglars who could easily over-power me in my own home, I realized that the security industry was too focused on monitoring and did little to prevent break-ins. We developed Kuna to arm home owners with options to divert burglars while they are outside. Kuna is the first effective break-in prevention product because it alerts you when someone comes to your home, lets you interact with and deter them or even set off an alarm when you need to."
Jeff Godown, Interim Chief of Police, SFPD 2011
"The cost of a break-in isn't just the material loss, it's the emotional and mental loss of knowing that your home and personal space have been violated. From hassles with identity theft and taking time off work to handle the incident or deal with insurance claims -- all the way to medical and therapy costs associated with the worry, stress, insomnia and fatigue that can come along with feeling invaded -- the costs are massive. Remote self-monitoring provides peace of mind that your home -- and the precious people inside it -- are safe."
Kuna provides peace of mind through preventive home safety solutions. Founded in 2012 by Sai-Wai Fu and Haomiao Huang, Kuna's first product is a smart Wi-Fi camera built in to an outdoor light fixture that detects people and lets homeowners see and interact with anyone at their door with a smartphone. Learn more at www.GetKuna.com.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2701540