Charlie Austin's 93rd-minute penalty denied 10-man West Ham a hard-earned Premier League point as Southampton escaped with a 3-2 win at St Mary's on Saturday.
Javier Hernandez looked to have secured a fantastic draw with a brace either side of half-time after the Saints surged two goals ahead, but Pablo Zabaleta's push on Maya Yoshida enabled substitute Austin to snatch all three points with effectively the last kick of the match.
Southampton had earlier opened up a two-goal lead as Manolo Gabbiadini found a way past Joe Hart after 11 minutes. The Hammers then lost Marko Arnautovic to a straight red card for catching Jack Stephens with his arm before Dusan Tadic made it 2-0 from the spot.
However, Hernandez appeared to be Slaven Bilic's saviour by cutting the deficit before half-time and then added an equaliser with around 16 minutes remaining.
But Austin stepped off the bench to roll in a late winner from the spot and give Mauricio Pellegrino a first league victory as Saints boss.
Key Opta stats
- That was the first time Southampton have scored a 90th minute winning goal in a Premier League game since February 7th 2015 (Mane v QPR).
- It’s the first time Saints have scored a 90th minute winner at home in the PL since August 2004 (James Beattie v Blackburn).
- Charlie Austin has been directly involved in three goals in his last two Premier League games versus West Ham (two goals, one assist).
- Manolo Gabbiadini’s goal ended a run of nine hours and 15 minutes without a Premier League goal at St. Mary’s for Southampton.
- Marko Arnautovic has been sent off versus Southampton in each of his last two Premier League appearances against them (also in December 2016). He’s the second player in PL history to be sent off twice versus the Saints (also Sol Campbell).
- Since the start of 2015-16, West Ham have conceded more goals from the penalty spot than any other Premier League team (13).
- Dusan Tadic, who made his 100thPremier League appearance today, scored his first goal in 13 games.
- Javier Hernandez scored his first Premier League goals since April 2014 vs Newcastle (1232 days ago) – all 39 of his goals in the English top-flight have come inside the box.
- Indeed, only Tim Cahill (56) and John Terry (41) and have scored more Premier League goals without ever netting one from outside the box than Hernandez.
- There were more goals scored today (5) than in Southampton’s previous five home Premier League games combined (3).