SAN DIEGO, CA--(Marketwired - Nov 12, 2013) - From the day they are born, guinea pigs tap into all five senses to help them adjust to their surroundings, whether in a habitat or natural environment. In fact, these animals have senses that are far superior to that of humans despite being a fraction of the size! To learn about the extremely heightened senses of a guinea pig, attend Petco's Guinea Pig Palooza taking place November 16, 2013 from 12 -4 p.m. at stores nationwide.
During the event, guests will be able to meet these amazing animals, as well as learn how to care for their whole health including diet and habitat information. Kids and parents will also receive free activity books, which feature fun games, puzzles and facts about guinea pigs (while supplies last). In addition, those who are proud guinea pig parents can bring their furry friend into the store to participate in a special fall-themed guinea pig photo experience. Plus, Petco will showcase their exclusive guinea pig apparel, which will keep these pets on the forefront of fashion with the latest in fall trends.
The following fun facts are just a small taste of the guinea pig's tremendous abilities:
- Sight: From the day they are born, guinea pigs have a great sense of sight. Guinea pigs can see in partial color, especially red, blue, and green. Through the years, these creatures have also adapted an ability to see above and behind them for extra safety measures.
- Taste: Guinea pigs can differentiate between many types of food, making it important to feed them a variety of vegetables for diversity. Not only will this taste "yummy" to them, it will ensure they are physically fit. Much like people, guinea pigs might also have a "favorite" food, which can be used when determining what to feed them as treats.
- Feel: Similar to cats, guinea pigs use their whiskers as a second set of eyes. Having long whiskers makes it easier for these creatures to feel their way around in dark spaces. Guinea pigs also have an exceptional memory and are able to find their way through a pathway they have seen before. Keeping them mentally alert with toys is essential to their wellbeing.
- Hear: With extremely sensitive ears, guinea pigs can hear even the slightest of sounds. This ability makes them aware of anyone approaching, which is why, for their emotional health, it is important to approach a guinea pig with a soft voice.
- Smell: Guinea pigs have a better sense of smell than humans. In order to make sure an object is safe, a guinea pig smells everything they come into contact with. That is why a pet guinea pig is always sniffing around their cage!
For more information on the event, please visit www.petco.com/guineapigpalooza.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that focuses on nurturing the powerful relationship between people and pets. We do this by providing the products, services, advice and experiences that keep pets physically fit, mentally alert, socially engaged and emotionally happy. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,250 stores nationwide and in Puerto Rico, including more than 80 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop; nine Pooch Hotel destinations for pet daycare, boarding and spa services; and petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $115 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 350,000 animals every year.