(Bloomberg) -- Libyan military commander Khalifa Haftar accepted a truce to halt a nine-month-long offensive to seize the capital Tripoli following calls by Turkey and Russia, his spokesman Ahmed Al-Mismari said in a statement.
Mismari said the truce would take effect at midnight local time and would depend on the internationally recognized government in Tripoli also respecting the ceasefire. The Tripoli-based government has already said it would welcome a truce.
The presidents of Russia and Turkey, who back rival sides in the North African state’s civil war, had earlier this week called for a ceasefire starting Sunday.
To contact the reporter on this story: Samer Khalil Al-Atrush in Cairo at email@example.com
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Matthew G. Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org, James Ludden
For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com
©2020 Bloomberg L.P.