REUTERS - Apple Inc's(NSQ:AAPL) newest smartphone models hit stores on Friday in many countries across the world, including Australia and China. For the first time, Apple is selling a second smartphone dubbed the "5C" featuring a plastic back and bright colors. The pricier "5S" now comes in three new colors - gray, silver and gold.
Technology firm iFixit disassembled a gold-colored iPhone 5S and examined its parts and then took apart a 5C model.
For slideshow, click http://in.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow?articleId=INRTX13RYA
Following are some of the key parts for the 5S model:
* Chips from Avago Technologies Ltd (NSQ:AVGO) and Skyworks Solutions Inc (NSQ:SWKS) are featured in the iPhone5S.
* Companies supplying parts for the new phone also include South Korean memory chipmaker SK Hynix Inc <000660.KS> and radio-frequency chipmaker TriQuint Semiconductor Inc (NSQ:TQNT).
* Broadcom Corp's (NSQ:BRCM) BCM5976 chip is used for the touchscreen controller.
* Murata Manufacturing Co's <6981.T> 339S0205 (based on the Broadcom BCM4334) Wi-Fi module.
* Includes chips from Qualcomm Inc (NSQ:QCOM) (PM8018 RF power management IC) and Texas Instruments Inc (TXN.O).
Following are some key points of the 5C model:
* The hardware design on the 5C appears more similar to the 5S than to the iPhone 5
* The 5C uses a Toshiba Corp <6502.T> 16 gigabyte flash memory chip
Information is from iFixit, a web site offering parts and self-repair guides for Apple iPods and Macintosh computers. The company, which has conducted similar "tear downs" on other Apple products, posted step-by-step photos of the process on its web site at: http://bit.ly/18FrQCj
(Reporting By Richard Pullin and Poornima Gupta; Editing by Ian Geoghegan)