Want to participate in a short research study? Help shape the future of investing tools and you could win a $250 gift card!
If you are an income investor, then PetMed Express, Inc. (NASDAQ:PETS) should be on your radar. PetMed Express, Inc. and its subsidiaries, doing business as 1-800-PetMeds, operates as a pet pharmacy in the United States. Over the past 10 years, the US$459m market cap company has been growing its dividend payments, from $0.40 to $1.08. Currently yielding 4.8%, let’s take a closer look at PetMed Express’s dividend profile.
What Is A Dividend Rock Star?
It is a stock that pays a stable and consistent dividend, having done so reliably for the past decade with the expectation of this continuing into the future. More specifically:
- Its annual yield is among the top 25% of dividend payers
- It has paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past
- Its has increased its dividend per share amount over the past
- It is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings
- It is able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future
High Yield And Dependable
PetMed Express currently yields 4.8%, which is high for Online Retail stocks. But the real reason PetMed Express stands out is because it has a high chance of being able to continue to pay dividend at this level for years to come, something that is quite desirable if you are looking to create a portfolio that generates a steady stream of income.
If there’s one type of stock you want to be reliable, it’s dividend stocks and their stable income-generating ability. PETS has increased its DPS from $0.40 to $1.08 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. These are all positive signs of a great, reliable dividend stock.
PetMed Express has a trailing twelve-month payout ratio of 51%, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 55% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of 4.9%. In addition to this, EPS is forecasted to fall to $1.92 in the upcoming year.
When assessing the forecast sustainability of a dividend it is also worth considering the cash flow of the business. Cash flow is important because companies with strong cash flow can usually sustain higher payout ratios.
Investors of PetMed Express can continue to expect strong dividends from the stock. With its favorable dividend characteristics, if high income generation is still the goal for your portfolio, then PetMed Express is one worth keeping around. However, given this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. I’ve put together three fundamental aspects you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for PETS’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for PETS’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is PETS worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether PETS is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there strong dividend payers with better fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.