MILWAUKEE, WI--(Marketwire - Nov 13, 2012) - During the holidays an average of 34 percent of Americans spend one to three nights away from home1 -- making safe travel precautions an important item on the holiday check-list. Master Lock reminds holiday travelers to check their lists twice before departing and while in-transit to enjoy a safe and happy holiday season.
"Inclement weather and an abundance of travelers can make heading out of town to see loved ones for the holidays a stressful experience where safety precautions are often overlooked," said Rebecca Smith, vice president, marketing for Master Lock. "By planning ahead and taking the time to think through proper safety and security measures, travelers can ensure the holidays are spent focused on good friends and family."
To keep the home and family secure during the holiday season's hustle and bustle, Master Lock offers five tips to help travelers keep safety top-of-mind:
1. Keep that lived in look. In 2010, more than 1.8 million homes were burglarized2 with 400,000 of those burglaries taking place between November and December3. Making the home appear active while away can discourage potential break-ins. Set a timer for both inside and outside lights to switch on and off and turn a radio or TV on to create the illusion that someone is home. Hold your mail deliveries at usps.com, and contact your other providers to stop newspaper and package drop-offs while you're away.
2. Toast don't post. Resist the temptation to update your social network accounts with travel plans to avoid having the news of the unoccupied status of your home fall into the wrong hands. Instead, spend that time in the company of friends and family toasting to health and happiness, and wait to post photos of holiday fun until you return home.
3. Check (Twice) Before Travel. Before departing for a holiday destination, check the schedules and status of your flight, train or traffic route to stay aware of delays, bad weather and other potential changes. Checking in on the status of your method of travel will guarantee you are prepared for any delays and keep you calm during the holiday rush. And don't forget to double-check your travel documents before leaving the house.
4. Activity and Emergency Kits Are Key. Whether traveling by train or car, always carry a first aid kit stocked with bottled water, snacks, medication, bandages, a flashlight and cell phone charger. Should you encounter a problem or a long distance between rest-stops on your route, these items can help keep you nourished and your travel companions busy. Keep children occupied by bringing fun games or movies to lessen driving distractions. If traveling by car, have it inspected by a mechanic or someone you trust before a long journey to make sure all systems are primed and tires are filled.
5. Lock It Down & Carry It On. A reported 200 items are stolen each day from JFK Airport4, one of the busiest airports in the world. Keep your valuables including cell phones, wallets, watches/jewelry and other important property safe by carrying them with you at all times and locking them up while on-the-go. Storage solutions like the 5900D SafeSpace™ are perfect for keeping these items secure. In addition, use generic luggage, be mindful of wearing flashy jewelry and dress down to prevent being targeted for theft. Secure checked and carry-on luggage with a TSA-accepted lock, such as the 4688D Combination Lock while traveling to prevent unauthorized access to your possessions.
For more information about these safe holiday travel and security solutions, please visit the Master Lock website at www.masterlock.com or the Master Lock Facebook page at www.facebook.com/masterlock. Visit www.masterlockvault.com to utilize the free, secure online data storage website and smart phone app for easy access on the go -- an ideal place to keep important account information, passwords and other private information.
About Master Lock
Master Lock is the world's largest manufacturer of padlocks and related security products providing innovative security solutions for home, automotive, campus, power sports, bike and storage security needs for consumers and industry alike. Master Lock Company LLC is an operating unit of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc., a leading consumer brands company. Headquartered in Deerfield, Ill., Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (
1According to the Research and Innovative Technology Administration of the Bureau of Transportation
2According to a 2012 ORC International report
3According to 2011 Federal Bureau Investigation Statistics
4According to WCBS-TV New York