MILWAUKEE, WI--(Marketwired - Jun 16, 2014) - Home is where the heart is, and also, where the people and possessions most important to consumers reside. Yet, nearly half of North Americans (44 percent) don't take any security precautions other than locking their windows and doors to keep these items safe.* With the start of summer and families more likely to be enjoying the outdoors -- either at home or away -- Master Lock is reminding consumers of simple security precautions to ensure their home remains a safe haven.
"Safety starts and ends at home," said Rebecca Smith of Master Lock, a leading manufacturer of innovative safety and security solutions. "There's no better time to incorporate safe practices into your family's routine to ensure a safe and memorable summer."
Master Lock offers its top six tips for home security:
1. Make Your Backyard a Safe Place - Remember to put garden tools and lawn mowers away in a locked place after use. Un-stored tools could cause a fall or tempt young children to use them as toys. Secure your shed or garage door with a high-security, weather-resistant lock, such as the Master Lock Magnum Laminated Padlock. Not only does this deter kids from using tools as toys, it also guards lawn equipment from theft.
2. Sleep Safely with Windows Open - Sleeping with open windows provides a cool breeze for pleasant rest and helps many people sleep better. Even better, it lessens the chance of succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning, a dangerous nighttime killer. Unfortunately, it also provides easy access to your home for intruders. Before enjoying this summertime routine, take proactive measurers to ensure you do so safely. If you use a home security system (only 14 percent of North Americans do*), ensure it provides window security coverage. Otherwise, use a window blocking device that prevents windows from opening more than six inches, and ensure windows cannot be accessed from outside. While you're sleeping, ensure all doors are locked, and safeguard patio doors from intruders with Master Lock's Door Security Bar.
3. Designate a Family Meeting Spot - More than half of North Americans (54 percent) have not designated a meeting spot in case of a house fire.* Set one with your family now so you're prepared should a fire ever strike. It's also good practice to designate a meeting spot whenever you're away from home. Whether you are at a carnival, park or away on vacation, always come up with a plan of where to meet. This will give you peace of mind in case someone in your family is separated from the group.
4. Check Your Smoke Detectors - Properly installed and maintained smoke detectors save lives and protect against injury and loss due to fire.** Yet, only seven percent of North Americans test smoke detectors monthly* -- the recommended frequency to ensure they're always working correctly. Replace batteries yearly or as soon as you hear a low-battery warning sound that usually sounds like a chirping noise. Smoke alarms should be replaced completely every 10 years.
5. Create Backups- With busy summer schedules, it's easy to forget your keys before leaving the house. To avoid being locked out of your house, make extra copies of your keys, and keep them in a secure spot. The Master Lock Storage Security Lock Box allows you to store your extra key and have it be accessible only by those who know the combination.
6. Prepare for the Unexpected - Technology today makes it easier than ever to ensure you're never waiting in line at an urgent care clinic without your child's insurance information or forgetting passwords to your online accounts. Store digital copies of your family's important medical and identification information in the free and secure Master Lock Vault for easy access from your smart phone on the go.
About Master Lock
The Master Lock Company LLC is recognized around the world as the authentic, enduring name in padlocks and security products. Master Lock Company offers a broad range of innovative security and safety solutions for consumer, commercial, and industrial end users. Master Lock Company LLC is an operating unit of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc., a leading consumer brands company. Headquartered in Deerfield, Ill., Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (
*According to a May 2014 Safety and Security Survey of more than 1,000 North Americans conducted by Master Lock via SurveyMonkey.
**According to the American Red Cross.