TORONTO, ONTARIO and CHICAGO, ILLINOIS--(Marketwire - Dec 10, 2012) - The December 31st deadline draws nearer, yet the U.S. Government has yet to reach a resolution on how to address the looming "fiscal cliff".
While many Republicans and Democrats remain optimistic that a deal can be reached, common ground is elusive and time is running out. Some in the market believe that the situation may go unresolved into the New Year, triggering a series of tax increases and government spending cuts that could affect the recovery of the U.S. economy.
Join investment experts from BMO Financial Group as they share their outlook on the "fiscal cliff" and discuss the potential market and economic implications for Canada and the U.S.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Outlook: What potential resolutions are available to U.S. lawmakers? What is the likelihood a compromise will be reached in time?
- Sectors & the Markets: How are markets currently reacting to the lack of agreement by both parties? What will the impact be on equity and fixed income markets?
- Taxes & Fiscal Policy: Should the Budget Control Act of 2011 come into effect, how will the new tax structure and fiscal reforms impact the economy? Will it trigger a second recession?
- Canada: How is the Canadian market reacting? What will this mean for the economy and trade?
- Currencies: Depending on the outcome, how will global currency markets react? What will happen with the value of the U.S. dollar?
- Strategy: What strategies should investors adopt to protect themselves?
|Jack Ablin, Chief Investment Officer, BMO Private Bank (Chicago)|
|Paul Taylor, Chief Investment Officer, Fundamental Equities, BMO Asset Management Inc. (Toronto)|
|Scott Graham, Head of Government Bond Trading, BMO Capital Markets (Chicago)|
|December 12th at 9:30 a.m. ET|
|Media are invited to participate through conference call: 416-695-6277 / 866-696-5910|
|Participant Passcode: 1720600|