NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - Jul 1, 2013) - Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day are all holidays that celebrate American exceptionalism and recognize our nation's heroic citizens. These holidays are best spent with friends, family and a smorgasbord of delicious food. Data from Seamless (www.seamless.com), the leading mobile and online service for ordering delivery and takeout food from more than 12,000 top restaurants in the U.S. and UK, shows that out of these national celebrations, the Fourth of July most inspires Americans to indulge in classic fare like hot dogs, burgers, corn on the cob and apple pie.
Here's a breakdown of the most patriotic dishes:
- Burgers: Just as football has replaced baseball as America's pastime, burgers have usurped hot dogs as America's dish. Although burgers are the most ordered food on all three holidays, they spike drastically on July 4, accounting for 97 percent more orders than on Labor Day and 75 percent more orders than on Memorial Day.
- Corn on the Cob: With fireworks comes cravings for corn on the cob -- there are 14 percent more orders placed on the Fourth of July than on Memorial Day, and a whopping 100 percent more orders than on Labor Day.
- Hot Dogs: Of the three holidays, Labor Day yields the fewest hot dog orders and are 62 percent less popular than July 4th.
- Apple Pie: The all-American dessert of choice is least popular on Memorial Day.
Burgers may be the most popular food on the Fourth of July, but for the rest of the month, hot dogs are king. In NYC, there are 90 percent more orders placed for hot dogs than burgers and 171 percent in DC. In LA, apple pie reigns supreme over burgers as well. Pie orders are more than double that of burgers.
"Although Seamless offers food from more than 80 cuisine types, our ordering data shows that during these patriotic holidays, our members tend to stick with the classics," said Jonathan Zabusky, Seamless CEO. "However, if you find yourself craving Pad Thai or Saag Paneer on the Fourth of July, Seamless makes it easy to filter restaurants in your area that offer any cuisine you choose, from homegrown to exotic."
While holidays like Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and Labor Day are good excuses to indulge in classic American foods, here are some simple tips to help you with your waistline even when enjoying the holiday treats. Robyn Youkilis, Board Certified Health and Cooking Coach and Seamless Nutrition consultant provides the following tips:
- Order "animal style" for hot dogs and hamburgers, sandwiching the meat between large lettuce leaves and piling on the veggie fixings.
- Classic sides like creamy coleslaws and potato dishes need a serious calorie cut. So, order a mixed greens salad with no dressing, and then mix the greens in with the creamy sides. You'll double the volume and get an extra serving of veggies.
- Healthy BBQ restaurant side dishes exist; you just have to look for them. Grilled or steamed vegetables and whole grains like quinoa are increasingly common. You can even enjoy black-eyed peas, baked beans and sweet potatoes. If you choose corn, enjoy the sweet seasonal goodness; just remember it counts as a grain rather than a vegetable.
- Nothing says Fourth of July like a slice of apple pie -- dive into the filling, but skip the crust, where most of the butter and flour linger.
- Choose lean proteins like grilled chicken and fish when ordering from your favorite BBQ hotspots. Even better, get it grilled plain and ask for the BBQ sauce on the side, so you can control the amount in your dish. Avoid brisket, pork or ribs, but if you can't resist have a small serving of these meats.
Seamless is the leading mobile and online service for ordering delivery and takeout food from more than 12,000 top restaurants in the U.S. and UK. Over the last three years, Seamless has facilitated more than $1 billion in orders for its more than two million members and many of the world's largest companies across cities including New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Portland, Miami, London and other major US cities. The company offers mobile applications for iPad®, iPhone®, Android™, and BlackBerry® and owns MenuPages®, the most comprehensive mobile and web provider of up-to-date menu content.
Seamless was recognized with various industry accolades in 2012 including Business Insider's Digital 100: The World's Most Valuable Private Tech Companies, Business Insider's App 100: The World's Greatest Apps, Huffington Post's Best Free iPhone Apps and Complex Magazine's 50 Best Apps of 2012. Seamless is an independent, privately held company. To learn more about Seamless, please visit www.seamless.com and follow Seamless on Facebook and Twitter.