More than a dozen kinds of hand sanitizer should be avoided because they may contain methanol, a toxic substance when absorbed through skin or ingested.
The Food and Drug Administration says many of the products have been voluntarily recalled with other products being recommended for recalls because they may contain the potentially fatal ingredient. All of the products in the FDA's latest methanol update were produced in Mexico.
The FDA says it has "seen a sharp increase in hand sanitizer products that are labeled to contain ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) but that have tested positive for methanol contamination."
The recalls come after the FDA warned consumers in June not to use nine kinds of hand sanitizers because they may contain the potentially fatal ingredient.
Save better, spend better: Money tips and advice delivered right to your inbox. Sign up here
"Methanol is not an acceptable active ingredient for hand sanitizers and must not be used due to its toxic effects," the FDA said, noting its investigation of methanol in certain hand sanitizers is ongoing.
Methanol is used industrially as a solvent, pesticide and alternative fuel source, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Exposure to it can cause nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system and death.
Redskins items no longer available: Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods pull Washington Redskins items as team evaluates name
Children who accidentally ingest hand sanitizer and young people who drink hand sanitizer as an alcohol substitute are at an increased risk for methanol poisoning, the FDA said.
The CDC says hand-washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds is the best way to clean your hands, but when that's not an option, the agency recommends using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
Recalled hand sanitizers
- ITECH 361's All Clean Hand Sanitizer, Moisturizer and Disinfectant: UPC code 628055370130.
- Transliquid Technologies' Mystic Shield Protection hand sanitizer: NDC numbers include 75477-435-02, 75477-435-10, 75477-435-12, 75477-435-25, 75477-435-50 and 75477-534-10.
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer, 1-liter bottles: Two distributors. The UVT hand sanitizer is labeled with lot number 0530 and an expiration date of 04/2022 and the Saniderm Products hand sanitizer is labeled with lot number 53131626 and “Manufactured on April/1/20.”
Other sanitizers containing methanol
The FDA is advising consumers not to use the following hand sanitizers because tests found them to contain methanol or that they were "purportedly made at the same facility as products in which FDA has tested and confirmed methanol contamination."
- Grupo Insoma’s Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented 70% Alcohol: NDC numbers include 75744-0200-3, 75744-0200-4, 75744-0201-5, 75744-0202-1, 75744-0250-1, 75744-0250-2, 75744-0500-1, 75744-1000-1, 75744-1000-3 and 75744-1001-1.
- Soluciones Cosmeticas’ Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free: NDC numbers include 75165-003-02, 75165-004-01, 75165-005-01, 75165-006-01, 75165-008-01, 75165-250-01 and 75165-600-01.
- Soluciones Cosmeticas’ Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution hand sanitizer: No NDC numbers listed.
- Tropicosmeticos' Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70%: NCD numbers include 76676-402-01, 77676-402-02, 77676-402-03, 77676-402-04, 77676-402-05, 77676-402-06, 77676-402-07, 77676-402-08, 77676-402-09, 77676-402-10, 77676-402-11, 77676-402-12, 77676-402-13, 77676-402-14, 77676-402-16, 77676-402-17, 77676-402-18, 77676-402-19 and 77676-402-20.
These Eskbiochem products should be avoided, according to the FDA:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer: NDC 74589-002-01
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer: NDC 74589-007-01
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol: NDC 74589-008-04
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer: NDC 74589-006-01
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer: NDC 74589-010-10
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol: NDC 74589-005-03
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol: NDC 74589-009-01
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol: NDC: 74589-003-01
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer: NDC: 74589-001-01
Contributing: Elinor Aspegren
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Hand sanitizer recall: Avoid Saniderm, other brands for methanol risk