Valve has released a new update to Dota 2 that makes significant changes to the game. Specifically, All Pick mode will now have 25 heroes randomly removed from the hero pool before the ban phase. This change will only affect Ranked Matchmaking and will be active “for a few days.” No further explanation as to what Valve is hoping to test was provided.
Valve has also changed how player commands are processed in-game, with changes made to input priority and responsiveness. An example described the following:
- Axe casts battle hunger. While the cast animation is playing, Axe quickly uses a Blink Dagger and then Berserker’s Call.
- Old Rules: Only Berserker’s Call is cast. The blink dagger order is ignored.
- New Rules: Axe will use the Blink Dagger, then cast Berserker’s Call.
The following second example was used to highlight changes:
- Puck casts Illusory Orb. Puck then casts Dream Coil. While the cast animation of Dream Coil is playing, Puck quickly casts Ethereal Jaunt and Waning Rift.
- Old Rules: Only Waning Rift would have triggered and Puck would not have teleported with Ethereal Jaunt.
- New Rules: Puck teleports with Ethereal Jaunt and then casts Waning Rift in the new location.
According to the notes, the change will apply to actions that are queued while the hero is in the midst of another action, and the new order needs to enter a queue. Making the hero move or hitting stop will empty the queue as usual.
The sweeping changes have been made as we edge closer to The International 2017. Valve recently released the Dota 2 The International Collector’s Cache 2017, which adds three new rare sets for players to collect.
For more on Dota 2, check out our dedicated hub.