JUNO BEACH, Fla., May 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- NextEra Energy, Inc. (NEE) today announced that, for the second consecutive year, Forbes has named it one of America's Best Employers.
"At NextEra Energy, our team of 14,700 talented employees is our greatest competitive advantage," said Jim Robo, chairman and chief executive officer of NextEra Energy. "Our three core values – commitment to excellence, doing the right thing and treating people with respect – drive everything we do. We're particularly focused on pursuing innovative ways to recruit, engage, retain and reward our talented team as we continue to meaningfully invest in our nation's energy infrastructure. The fact that our own employees were surveyed as part of Forbes' evaluation process makes this honor all the more gratifying, and I couldn't be more proud of the NextEra Energy team and all they continue to accomplish on behalf of our customers and shareholders."
Working with research firm Statista, Forbes asked thousands of U.S. workers employed by large companies to determine on a numerical scale how likely they were to recommend their employer to friends or family, then asked employees to recommend other companies outside of their own.
Highlights of NextEra Energy's efforts to maintain a great place to work include:
- Industry leadership in energy infrastructure – NextEra Energy is one of America's largest investors in infrastructure, and its employees have opportunities daily to continue to execute a customer value proposition that is among the very best of any electric utility in the U.S. and to grow the company's position as the world leader in generating renewable energy from the wind and the sun.
- Safety first – By living the company's comprehensive safety program that encourages employees to make safety a top priority at work and at home, the NextEra Energy team achieved a 2016 safety performance that was 63 percent better than 10 years ago.
- Diversity and inclusion – The company has been honored twice nationally for its Employee Resource Groups, which encourage knowledge sharing and community involvement, and has been recognized three times in Florida for its employment of U.S. military veterans.
- Continuous learning – Through NextEra University and other venues, employees devoted approximately 1,000,000 hours in 2016 growing their skills, completing 850,000 individual training sessions.
- Being well – Using information, motivation and facilities provided by the award-winning NextEra Health & Well Being program, employees logged 17,000 onsite health care visits, 4,000 onsite wellness screenings, and 5,000 employees attended nearly 200 health and wellness presentations in 2016.
- Strong community involvement – As part of its signature Power to Care volunteer program, NextEra Energy employee volunteers contributed more than 85,000 hours in 2016 to their local communities through company-sponsored projects and personal volunteer time. The company also sponsored 70 robotics teams at all grade levels, as well as science shows and solar education stations to stimulate students' interest in pursuing science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education and careers.
The Forbes 2017 America's Best Employers recognition is the latest honor for NextEra Energy, which has long been committed to building a top-notch workforce and challenging its team to help solve America's energy challenges sustainably and responsibly. During the past year alone, the company has been recognized as being No.1 in the electric & gas utilities industry on Fortune magazine's 2017 "World's Most Admired Companies" list and among the top 10 companies in the world, across all industries, in the categories of innovation, social responsibility and wise use of corporate assets. In 2017, NextEra Energy for the 10th time was named A World's Most Ethical Company® by the Ethisphere Institute.
See the complete list of honorees, as well as additional information on this ranking, at www.forbes.com. Learn more about the many ways NextEra Energy is investing in its team by viewing its most recent corporate responsibility report at www.NextEraEnergy.com/crr.
NextEra Energy, Inc.
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $16.2 billion, approximately 45,900 megawatts of generating capacity, which includes megawatts associated with noncontrolling interests related to NextEra Energy Partners, LP (NEP), and approximately 14,700 employees in 30 states and Canada as of year-end 2016. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida, NextEra Energy's principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 4.9 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin. A Fortune 200 company and included in the S&P 100 index, NextEra Energy has been recognized often by third parties for its efforts in sustainability, corporate responsibility, ethics and compliance, and diversity, and has been ranked No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry in Fortune's 2017 list of "World's Most Admired Companies." For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nextera-energy-honored-as-one-of-americas-best-employers-300454699.html