Houston (AFP) - Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has told Santa Fe High School officials that he will pay the funeral expenses of those killed in Friday's shooting there, NFL officials confirmed Saturday.
US media identified the dead as two teachers and eight students, killed when a teen opened fire at the suburban Houston school.
Authorities said 10 more people were wounded in the massacre.
"Absolutely horrific," Watt tweeted shortly after the shootings.
Watt, a standout player for Houston's team in the most beloved sport in Texas, has been active in community projects since being selected by the team in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Watt, 29, received the 2017 NFL Man of the Year Award for his off-field work. His fundraising project to aid Hurricane Harvey flood victims last year raised more than $37 million.
In seven NFL seasons all with the Texans, Watt has made 394 tackles, 76 quarterback sacks, forced 15 fumbles, intercepted a pass and scored two touchdowns.
"On behalf of the Texans organization, we are saddened by the tragic events at Sante Fe High School this morning and extend our thoughts and heartfelt condolences to the victims, their families and all those affected," the team said in a statement Friday.
"We are grateful for the brave first responders, law enforcement officials and medical personnel. The Texans family will continue to pray for our neighbors."