VERNON, Vt. (AP) — No safety problems have been revealed so far in the ongoing decommissioning of the Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said in a new report.
The commission's quarterly report, released Wednesday, details federal inspection results for May, June, July and August at the plant in Vernon.
Vermont Yankee closed in 2014 after operating for 42 years. It's being decommissioned by a New York-based demolition company, NorthStar.
The Brattleboro Reformer writes that the report covers NorthStar's performance and status, as well as occupational radiation exposure and radiological environmental monitoring.
The inspections included observations by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission resident inspector Steve Hammann, who has spent more time at the plant in recent months, and interviews with Vermont Yankee personnel, walks through the plant and a review of procedures and records.
"He has been there more frequently because the plant is now in active decommissioning versus the SAFSTOR (long-term storage) approach under Entergy," said commission spokesman Neil Sheehan.
NorthStar bought Vermont Yankee for $1,000 from Entergy Nuclear at the beginning of January. The company also received the plant's $550 million decommissioning trust fund. Its plan is to demolish the plant by 2026, decades ahead of the original schedule.
Information from: Brattleboro Reformer, http://www.reformer.com/