This fall, Northern Michigan University will launch the nation’s first cannabis-focused, two-year associate's degree.
Indoor Agriculture, a multidisciplinary curriculum, will prepare students for careers in a variety of industries, including medicinal plant production, agriculture food production, and indoor growing systems.
The program is scheduled for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Through a partnership with Green Flower, NMU — located in Marquette — will be one of the first higher education institutions to offer students a six-month long, online training and education certificates for those interested in expanding their knowledge in the cannabis industry.
The Indoor Agriculture associate’s degree hones in on the cannabis and agriculture industries, with an emphasis on understanding the basics related to building mechanical systems for indoor environmental control. Courses will focus on hydroponics, aeroponics and aquaponics; plant biology; the chemical and nutritional makeup of plants; building mechanical and electrical systems for controlling climates; infrastructure design and system layout; and basic business and accounting practices.
NMU's program will be housed in a converted aviation lab. The space will be refurbished to accommodate an interactive learning environment for students that will be applicable to all indoor growing scenarios.
“Here at Northern Michigan, we believe in learning by doing and fostering innovation and creativity,” said Dr. Fritz Erickson, president of Northern Michigan University. “Our faculty are committed to offering students hands-on training in high-demand areas. And with the growing cannabis and related industries in the U.S., when our educators and partners came to us with these curriculums, we knew they were an ideal fit for our culture of innovation. We are now able to offer our students a range of cannabis-related programming that ties directly back to the skills and knowledge employers are looking for.”
The cannabis certificate programs will expand students’ expertise in the following fields:
- The Business of Cannabis: An in-depth understanding of the challenges and opportunities related to the business side of the industry throughout the seed to sale process.
- Cannabis Agriculture & Horticulture: Designed to provide both new and experienced growers with insight into every aspect of the cultivation process.
- Cannabis Law & Policy: Learn about the industry’s rapidly changing legal landscape and dive deep into law as it pertains to specific sectors of the cannabis industry.
- Cannabis Healthcare & Medicine: From Cannabis 101 to in-depth clinical practices, this discipline will take a student’s career to the next level.
Noticias sobre cannabis en Español en El Planteo.
See more from Benzinga
- Cannabis Industry Alliance To Explore CBD's Liver Effects
- Greenlane Partners With Rap Star Berner, Launches Vibes Rolling Papers In Canada, Europe
- ESPAÑOL • Resumen Semanal de Noticias de Cannabis y Psicodélicos: Primera Semana de Junio
© 2020 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.