NORTH CONWAY, N.H., April 26, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Northway Financial, Inc. (the “Company”) (NWYF), the parent company of Northway Bank (the “Bank”), today reported net income for the quarter ended March 31, 2019 of $3.3MM, or $1.20 per basic common share.
- Total assets were $936MM, total loans, net, were $628MM, and total deposits were $745MM at March 31, 2019.
- Loans, net, including loans held for sale increased $18.7MM from December 31, 2018 to $647MM or 9% above the same period last year.
- The 2018 accounting change requiring unrealized gains/losses on equity securities to be recognized in the income statement accounted for $1.9MM of pretax income in the first quarter of 2019.
- Excluding marketable equity securities gains, both realized and unrealized, pretax net income was $1.9MM, a 95% increase compared to the first quarter of 2018.
- The net interest margin at March 31, 2019 was 3.45%.
- The yield on earning assets was 4.11% and the cost of interest-bearing liabilities was 0.83%, for the quarter ended March 31, 2019.
- For the quarter ended March 31, 2019, Return on Average Assets was 1.43% and Return on Average Equity was 16.52%.
- We continue to be well capitalized as of March 31, 2019 with regulatory capital ratios of 10.56% Tier 1 Leverage, 16.52% Total Risk Based Capital, and 12.25% Common Equity Tier 1.
- Nonperforming loans as a percentage of total loans stood at 0.42% at March 31, 2019.
- The market price of our common stock, as of April 23, 2019, was $29.40.
|Northway Financial, Inc.|
|Selected Financial Highlights|
|(Dollars in thousands, except per share data)||Three Months Ended|
|Interest and Dividend Income||$||8,886||$||8,026|
|Net Interest and Dividend Income||7,421||7,153|
|Provision for Loan Losses||-||-|
|All Other Noninterest Income||1,831||1,311|
|Realized Gains on Securities Available-for-Sale, net||157||-|
|Net Income Before Gains on Marketable Equity Securities, net||2,168||1,112|
|Gain on Marketable Equity Securities Sold, net||-||-|
|Unrealized Gain/(Loss) on Marketable Equity Securities Held, net||1,926||(891||)|
|Income before Income Tax Expense||4,094||221|
|Income Tax Expense (Benefit)||798||(194||)|
|Net Income Available to Common Shareholders||$||3,296||$||415|
|Earnings per Common Share, Basic||$||1.20||$||0.15|
|Cash and Due from Banks and Interest-Bearing Deposits||15,491||18,132||18,304|
|Securities Available-for-Sale, at Fair Value||219,473||225,409||245,001|
|Marketable Equity Securities, at Fair Value||16,930||17,978||19,675|
|Loans, Net, including loans held for sale||647,051||628,343||595,373|
|Retail Non-Maturity Deposits||491,655||494,793||508,076|
|Municipal Non-Maturity Deposits||92,620||101,746||90,679|
|Certificates of Deposit||160,714||128,993||106,509|
|Federal Home Loan Bank Advances||24,588||13,848||61,585|
|Securities Sold Under Agreements to Repurchase||52,202||79,340||42,217|
|Junior Subordinated Debentures||20,620||20,620||20,620|
|Profitability and Efficiency|
|Net Interest Margin||3.45||%||3.36||%||3.44||%|
|Yield on Earning Assets||4.11||3.91||3.85|
|Cost of Interest Bearing Liabilities||0.83||0.70||0.51|
|Book Value Per Share of Common Shares Outstanding||$||30.65||$||28.86||$||28.94|
|Tangible Book Value Per Share of Common Shares Outstanding||27.04||25.25||25.31|
|Capital and Credit|
|Tier 1 Core Capital to Average Assets||10.56||%||9.93||%||10.35||%|
|Common Equity Risk-Based Capital||12.25||12.23||12.18|
|Tier 1 Risk-Based Capital||15.38||15.44||15.46|
|Total Risk-Based Capital||16.52||16.60||16.67|
|Common Shares Outstanding||2,751,650||2,751,650||2,751,650|
|Weighted Average Number of Common Shares, Basic||2,751,650||2,751,650||2,751,650|
|Return on Average Assets||1.43||%||0.31||%||0.19||%|
|Return on Average Equity||16.52||3.75||2.13|
|Nonperforming Loans as a % of Total Loans||0.42||0.35||0.53|
|Allowance for Loan Losses as a % of Nonperforming Loans||268||323||215|
About Northway Financial, Inc.
Northway Financial, Inc., headquartered in North Conway, New Hampshire, is a bank holding company. Through its subsidiary bank, Northway Bank, the Company offers a broad range of financial products and services to individuals, businesses and the public sector from its 16 full-service banking offices and its loan production offices located in Bedford and Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Statements included in this press release that are not historical or current fact are “forward-looking statements” made pursuant to the safe harbor provision of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from historical earnings and those presently anticipated or projected. Northway Financial, Inc. disclaims any obligation to subsequently revise any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date of such statements, or to reflect the occurrence of anticipated or unanticipated events or circumstances.
Chief Financial Officer