CHICAGO, IL--(Marketwired - Sep 26, 2014) - The air is crisp with a slight chill and the leaves are beginning to turn, and there is no better time to explore all Chicago has to offer with a spooky Halloween twist. Get excited to explore some of the best and spookiest things to do in October in Chicago with this list of 5 freaky ideas compiled by ChicagoTraveler.com.
1. Take a Bike Tour - with Bobby's Bike Hike
Start the season off right with Bobby's Bike Fright Hike, a great way to stay active while staying in the Halloween spirit and having a scary experience. The tour starts by riding through an old cemetery, then the tour will pass the Chicago River site where a bizarre occurrence took place when 844 people drowned in mid-daylight. Chicago's infamous ghost, Resurrection Mary, will be discussed as well as many other haunted local places including the Levee District, the Columbian Exposition, and the exploits of one H. H. Holmes.
This tour takes place at 7:00 pm Wednesday, Friday, and Saturdays, and every night during the last two weeks of October. It is an eight mile bike ride at an easy level and should last about three hours. Reserve your place now on the website to get the online discount of 10%. Prices include a bike, a helmet, and a spooky time.
2. Explore a Scary Navy Pier - at Navy Pier
Explore the Navy Pier this fall, right on the waters of Lake Michigan. On the east end of the pier, right north of the Landshark Beer Garden, you'll find the new mega-haunted house called Zombie Containment. Zombie Army Productions, the award-winning creators of The Fear and Statesville Haunted Prison, bring the scariest and most terrifying experience with the undead to life. Zombie Containment offers high scare, for only the brave, at night and during the day a lights on show for the Low Scare version.
3. Do the Monster Mash - Chicago concerts in October
October is the perfect month to go and see your favorite bands and do the monster mash. There are many great concerts going on this fall in Chicago.
- Fleetwood Mac's On With the Show is coming to Chicago on Thursday, October 2nd at the United Center. Fleetwood Mac is a British-American rock band that was formed in London in 1967. Tickets here.
- The Glitch Mob is another great band coming to Chicago this fall. The Glitch Mob is an American electronic music group consisting of three members and originating in Los Angeles, California. They will play at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on Friday, October 17th. Tickets here.
- Allen Stone is an American soul singer from Chewelah, Washington. Although his fans consider his music R&B, he refers to himself as a "hippie with soul." He will be performing at the Vic Theatre in Chicago on Thursday, October 16th. Tickets here.
- Skrillex is a very popular and well-known electronic dance music producer, DJ, singer, and songwriter. Skrillex is coming to Chicago on Saturday, October 18th. He will be playing at the Navy Pier alongside A$AP Ferg. Tickets here.
- MewithoutYou is an American rock band that originated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The band is coming to Chicago to perform at the Bottom Lounge in Chicago, IL, on Saturday, October 11th. Tickets here.
4. Spooky Zoo Spectacular - at Lincoln Park Zoo
The Spooky Zoo Spectacular is hosted by the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago and is a great way to celebrate Halloween for younger children and older ones alike. The Lincoln Park Zoo is completely free and perfect for the whole family. The zoo will be hosting a haunted house, arts and crafts, trick-or-treating, and entertainment while dressed in costumes. The Spooky Zoo Spectacular takes place on Saturday, October 25th from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.
In Chicago, Halloween lasts more than just one night, it lasts the whole season. The city, parks, and buildings are all lit up and decorated to celebrate. Spooky and fun activities are all over the place for children and adults to enjoy. Chicagoween includes a variety of Halloween events in Chicago sure to spook you out. Chicago Daley Plaza becomes "Franken Plaza" during Chicagoween, where you will be able to find movie nights, theater, dance, and much more including the Halloween Party Chicago. Halloween Party Chicago runs the entire fall season and includes different spooky and fun family activities that everyone will enjoy.
Chicagoween also includes other events like the many haunted houses in the city of Chicago and the Midnight Circus. The Midnight Circus takes place in "Franken Plaza" where you will see many different performing acts like juggling, aerial silk, and more. Don't miss the Monster Bash on the Saturday before Halloween, where you can enjoy hay rides, trick-or-treating and more! The Chicago Park District also hosts many Chicagoween events. You can find pumpkin patches and fall harvest farmers markets at many of the parks. The Park District also hosts many haunted houses and scary theatre near Halloween time.
Halloween is a major event in Chicago that you won't want to miss. There are so many excitingly terrifying things to go in October in the city of Chicago. Be sure to check them out and don't miss out on the spooky fun!
Chicago is one of the top vacation destinations in America famous for its unique character, annual events, popular foods, architecture, and top sports teams. ChicagoTraveler.com guides travelers to all the best things to do, top places to eat and deals on the best places to stay in Chicago.