PORTLAND, OR--(Marketwired - Jul 31, 2013) - According to the results of the 2013 Online Personal Experience study released today by Janrain, nearly three-fourths (74%) of online consumers get frustrated with websites when content (e.g., offers, ads, promotions) appears that has nothing to do with their interests. While not surprising, it appears their frustration may be an ominous sign for online brands. As an example, the poll revealed that 67 percent of online adults would lose their patience and leave a website if shown an ad asking for donations from the political party they dislike the most. This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Janrain from June 28 - July 2, 2013 among 2,091 U.S. adults ages 18 and older.
"These results align perfectly with additional market research indicating that consumers have reached the tipping point when it comes to being shown content that isn't relevant to them," said Larry Drebes, CEO of Janrain. "It's a wake up call for brands to fix this problem or risk losing customers and prospects."
No More Irrelevant Information or I'm Leaving Your Website!
Previous research commissioned by Janrain shows that almost every online consumer has received information while visiting a website that has nothing to do with their personal interests or demographics. * This new study further demonstrates that online consumers are overwhelmed and running out of patience:
- 74 percent get frustrated with websites when content, offers, ads, promotions, etc. appear that have nothing to do with their interests
- 67 percent would leave the site if asked for donations from a political party that they dislike the most
- 57 percent would leave the site if they were married and shown ads for a dating service
- 50 percent would leave the site if shown a recommendation to purchase underwear that is for the opposite gender
I'll Do Almost Anything to Receive Information That Interests Me!
When online consumers are asked what they would be willing to give up to receive appropriate content based on their personal interests on all of their favorite websites, the responses revealed a huge opportunity for online marketers to personalize website experiences for consumers.
Percentage of consumers who would be willing to give up:
- 28 percent- Social networks for a week
- 25 percent- Chocolate for a month
- 21 percent- Mobile or smart phone for a day
- 17 percent- Having to use only a landline phone for a week
- 13 percent- Sex for a month
Can I Trust Businesses With My Personal Information?
The Janrain survey results show that consumers are still somewhat wary of providing personal information to online businesses without knowing more about how it will help to improve their website experience:
- 57 percent are OK with providing personal information on a website as long as it's for their benefit and being used in responsible ways
- 77 percent would trust businesses more if they explained how they're using personal information to improve their online experience
"Consumers have been pretty consistent and clear in their feedback," commented Drebes. "The way to avoid alienating them is to give them what they want -- personalized, relevant content using their data in a responsible and transparent way."
The Janrain User Management Platform (JUMP) helps organizations succeed on the social web with leading technology that leverages the popularity of social networks and identities for new user acquisition, engagement, and enhanced customer intelligence. Our solutions, including social login, social sharing, social profile data collection and storage, access to the social graph, and digital strategy services, improve the effectiveness of online marketing initiatives for leading brands like Fox, Universal Music Group, Whole Foods, Mattel, Purina, Samsung, Macy's and Dr Pepper. Founded in 2005, Janrain is based in Portland, Oregon. For more information, please call 1-888-563-3082 or visit www.janrain.com and follow @janrain.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Janrain from June 28th - July 2nd, 2013 among 2,091 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Jeff Denenholz, firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-444-5477.
*2013 Blue Research, Consumer Perceptions of Social Login Study