REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwire - Nov 13, 2012) - Oracle (
- Oracle announced today that it has made a strategic minority investment in Engine Yard, a leading cloud development platform that supports Ruby, PHP and Node.js, popular web development languages.
- The Engine Yard Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) automates the configuration, deployment and on-going maintenance of cloud environments to enable application developers to rapidly build, deploy and manage cloud applications.
- In conjunction with this investment, Oracle and Engine Yard expect to work closely together to provide cloud application developers with a greater choice of development and deployment options. The two companies are expected to connect their respective PaaS offerings to enable more rapid development of applications in a secure, reliable and scalable environment.
- Developers can more efficiently extend their packaged applications to support additional business requirements and test, prototype and deploy new purpose-built applications without having to assemble and maintain the infrastructure.
- Engine Yard will continue to operate as an independent company. Financial details of the investment were not disclosed.
- "Developers building new web applications in Ruby, PHP and Node.js to meet growing demands associated with mobile and social computing need a robust web PaaS offering," said Thomas Kurian, executive vice president, Oracle Development. "We are looking forward to integrating the Oracle Cloud with Engine Yard's platform to further extend our PaaS capabilities for web application development."
- "The partnership of Oracle and Engine Yard will provide developers with a choice of leading application development and deployment platforms," said John Dillon, CEO, Engine Yard. "Oracle's global scale and resources partnered with our deep expertise in deploying web-scale applications will provide enterprises with a complete and trusted application platform that enables them to easily leverage the power of the cloud."
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (
Oracle and Java registered trademarks of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This document is for informational purposes only and may not be incorporated into a contract or agreement.