SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Oct 4, 2012) - JAVAONE -- Oracle (
- This week at Java Embedded @ JavaOne 2012, Oracle executives outlined new innovations in its Java embedded product line and discussed how Java can help customers and partners enhance business opportunities and intelligence in areas such as networking, consumer products, Machine-to-Machine (M2M) modules and industrial automation.
- With nearly two decades of innovation, Java continues to be a widely adopted technology solution for enterprises worldwide and powers over 3 billion devices.
- Embedding Java into devices, such as sensors or smart meters, allows organizations to gain end-to-end intelligence from device to data center, creating new opportunities to improve operations, revenue and enhance end user experiences.
- In its inaugural year, the Java Embedded @ JavaOne 2012 conference was designed to provide business and technical decision makers, as well as Java embedded ecosystem partners, the opportunity to learn about how they can use Java embedded technologies to enable new business strategies.
Extending Market Opportunities with Java Embedded
- In his Wednesday keynote address, Oracle's Judson Althoff, senior vice president of Worldwide Alliances and Channels, discussed how Oracle's unique device to data center reach offers customers and partners a significant business advantage by minimizing development costs, testing cycles, and time-to-market, while maximizing application reuse, solution flexibility, and security.
- Featuring partners from ARM, FreeScale, Globalscale Hitachi and SeeControl, the presentation showcased how the marriage of embedded Java and devices can transform industries, from mining, to transportation, to health care and automotive, allowing them to harness the power of Big Data to improve asset performance, reduce risk, increase safety and much more.
- Providing partners the tools and resources they need to extend business opportunities and differentiate their services in the market, Althoff unveiled a new Oracle PartnerNetwork Specialization for M2M.
- At the session, partner Tridium was also welcomed to the stage to receive the Partner Excellence Award for their extreme innovation using Java and for changing the way devices and systems connect and integrate with each other and the enterprise.
New Innovations in Java Embedded Drive Intelligent Devices
- In the Thursday keynote, Oracle's Hasan Rizvi, executive vice president, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Java, and Nandini Ramani, vice president of Engineering, Java Client and Mobile Platforms, provided insight into Oracle's Java embedded portfolio and roadmap.
- While there are isolated islands of standardization attempts, the vast majority of embedded development is still done through proprietary, native code that is customized for a specific device, leading to slow development cycles, resistance to change and interoperability issues.
- Java provides a mature, proven platform that is uniquely suited to meet the requirements of almost any type of embedded device. Support for remote downloads and updates, allows devices to deliver greater value to the end-user.
- Java's independence from the underlying hardware/software platform provides flexibility in CPU vendor selection and easy migration across dissimilar hardware.
- The new Oracle Java ME Embedded 3.2 is a complete client Java runtime optimized for microcontrollers and other resource-constrained devices.
- Oracle Java Embedded Suite 7.0 is a new, packaged offering that facilitates creating applications across a wide range of embedded systems including network appliances, healthcare devices, home gateways and routers and large peripheral devices, such as multi-function printers.
- Oracle's Java Embedded products enable customers and partners to leverage the massive Java ecosystem that includes over 9 million Java developers worldwide.
- Widespread industry support helps to ensure ongoing innovation, easy availability of partner technologies and helps to prevent proprietary lock-in.
Java Facts and Figures
- 97% of enterprise desktops run Java
- 1 billion Java downloads each year
- 80% of mobile developers target the Java platform
- More than 125 million Java-based TV devices have been deployed
- Over 10 billion Java Cards have been shipped since its introduction
- "From electronic wallets to automobiles to shipping containers, more and more products are being equipped with sensors that are collecting massive amounts of data," noted Althoff. "But currently, this data remains siloed and singularly focused. Organizations need a way to integrate and manage this data and in working with our extensive ecosystem of partners, Oracle is the only company positioned to offer one, integrated platform to support complete device to data center intelligence."
- "We've rapidly reached a point where even the simplest devices have significant connectivity requirements and along with this connectivity, comes the need to support a vast number of technologies," said Rizvi. "With support for devices ranging from highly-constrained resources to server-class systems, Java delivers a secure, optimized runtime environment ideally-suited to embedded systems."
- Oracle's Java Embedded Products
- Java at Oracle
- Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN)
- Oracle M2M Platform Knowledge Zone
- Java Source Blog
- Henrik on Java
- Connect with the Oracle Partner and Java communities at OPN on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube or Java on Twitter, I Love Java on Facebook and Java on YouTube
About Oracle PartnerNetwork
Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) Specialized is the latest version of Oracle's partner program that provides partners with tools to better develop, sell and implement Oracle solutions. OPN Specialized offers resources to train and support specialized knowledge of Oracle products and solutions and has evolved to recognize Oracle's growing product portfolio, partner base and business opportunity. Key to the latest enhancements to OPN is the ability for partners to differentiate through Specializations. Specializations are achieved through competency development, business results, expertise and proven success. To find out more visit http://www.oracle.com/partners.
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (
The JavaOne conference brings together Java experts and enthusiasts for an extraordinary week of learning and networking focused entirely on all things Java. With more than 400 sessions covering topics that span the breadth of the Java universe, keynotes from foremost Java visionaries and expert-led hands-on learning opportunities, JavaOne is the world's most important event for the Java community.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The preceding is intended to outline our general product direction. It is intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle's products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle Corporation.