REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwire - Oct 15, 2012) - Oracle (
- To improve the productivity of developing database-centric, HTML5 applications for desktop and now, mobile platforms, Oracle today announced the availability of Oracle® Application Express Release 4.2.
- This new Oracle Application Express release is focused on allowing developers to rapidly build declarative solutions that can run on any mobile platform.
- Oracle Application Express is a no-cost option included with all editions and current releases of Oracle Database.
- Oracle Application Express Release 4.2 is available for download from the Oracle Technology Network (OTN).
Oracle Application Express 4.2 Enhancements and New Features
- Mobile Applications: Provides the ability to build your Oracle Application Express application once, and then when accessed have it automatically render an appropriate user interface.
- Mobile Themes and Templates: Leverages jQuery Mobile to allow the mobile themes to function on all major mobile platforms without need for modification. Includes features such as page transitions and HTML5 item types.
- HTML5 Charts: Includes HTML5 charting which allows charts to display on devices that don't support Flash.
- HTML5 Item Types: Allows you to specify item types for number, email, telephone and URL which greatly enhance the user experience when entering data on HTML5 aware mobile devices.
- Packaged Applications: Introduces a collection of productivity applications to allow users to immediately start utilizing their database investment. The ability to unlock these applications also allows developers to customize and learn best practices.
Overview of Oracle Application Express 4.2
- Application Express is a SQL-centric development tool that allows developers to build applications leveraging their SQL and PL/SQL skills.
- Using only a Web browser, developers can rapidly build and deploy professional and scalable applications for Oracle Databases that are both fast and secure with Oracle Application Express.
- The declarative development framework of Oracle Application Express utilizes wizards and property sheets to declaratively build and maintain applications. This information is stored in and referenced from a meta-data repository, alleviating the need for compilation or code generation.
"One important goal for us over this year is the need to support multiple platforms and devices including Macs, iPads and iPhones," said Sayee Natarajan, director, Sales and Marketing Systems, Purdue Pharma. "Application Express 4.2 will allow us to develop an application once and deploy it to all these devices by incorporating 'Responsive Design' in the templates that automatically scale from the largest monitors to the iPad in landscape mode. Application Express achieves all this using industry standard responsive grids, mobile libraries and charting tools that work on all the platforms."
"We at the Brunswick Boat Group are very excited about Application Express 4.2. Our quality control application (QCIS) was written in Application Express to replace a software package costing $60,000 a year," said Tony Bowers, Senior Systems Analyst, Brunswick Boat Group. "Since delivering our Application Express application we have received rave reviews for its functional richness including the use of image maps. The only complaint is that our users currently have to work off Toughbooks. Application Express 4.2 will enable us to deliver QCIS on iPads which will be far easier and more productive for our users, especially as they can utilize features such as touch and tap."
"With Application Express 4.2 developers can now easily create applications that incorporate Responsive Web Design or jQuery Mobile to provide optimal viewing experience on all devices," said Mike Hichwa, Vice President Database Tools, Oracle. "Another key feature being introduced are the Packaged Applications which provide out-of-the-box point solutions. The primary benefits of these include instantly available productivity applications, the ability to unlock and customize the solutions provided, and to learn best practices."
Oracle Forum: Oracle Application Express
Download Oracle Application Express Release 4.2. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.