OTTAWA , Sept. 3, 2019 /CNW/ - The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to launch a numismatic breakthrough from its ambitious and creative Research and Development team. Working with the University of Ottawa's Centre for Research in Photonics, the R+D team has created the 2020 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Pulsating Maple Leaf, engraved with an array of sub-millimeter-scale mirrors in the shape of a maple leaf on the reverse of this 99.99% pure silver coin. With precise dimensions and orientations, these miniature mirrors produce a design that appears to expand and contract with each tilt of the coin.
Another numismatic wonder is the 2020 $50 Fine Silver Coin – Real Shapes: The Common Loon. For the first time, the iconic loon designed by artist Robert-Ralph Carmichael for Canada's one-dollar circulation coin, sheds its circular enclosure. The result is a uniquely shaped, pure silver and gold-plated coin struck in the silhouette of the loon floating on the still water of a lake, just as it appears on Canada's "loonie". This is the first in a series that will bring to life the shapes of Canada's classic circulation coin designs, crafted from more than three ounces of pure silver.
Taking engraving relief to a whole new level is the 2019 $250 Fine Silver Ultra High Relief Coin – D-Day: A Snapshot in Time. Honouring the Canadian heroes of the June 6, 1944 D-Day landing at Juno Beach, this ultra high relief coin is the product of a close collaboration between veteran, military collector and author W.E. Storey, CD, and Mint engraver Traian Georgescu . Brought together by product manager Erica Maga , who wanted the Mint's final tribute to our D-Day veterans to capture the full scale of the operation, they studied scores of photographs of the historic landing. Together, they created an overhead view of the scene that unfolded at Bernières-sur-Mer with exceptional depth on a large scale and a relief height of almost 4 millimetres on a one-kilogram 99.99% pure silver coin.
Other finely crafted coins launching this month include:
- 2019 $200 Pure Gold Coin 40th Anniversary of the GML, a 2 oz. coin celebrating the signature sugar maple reverse design of one of the world's most coveted pure gold bullion coins;
- The 2019 $100 Fine Silver Coin Yousuf Karsh: The Roaring Lion; the third in a series of 10 oz. coins celebrating the famous Canadian photographer's work, with a reproduction of his legendary portrait of Winston Churchill ;
- The 2020 $1 Fine Silver and $200 Pure Gold coins - Peace Dollar, a pair of meticulously engraved high-relief coins designed by retired Mint Engraver Susan Taylor;
- The 2020 Fine Silver Maple Leaf Fractional Set, featuring five 99.99% pure silver coins ranging from 1 oz. to 1/20th oz. pieces. The 1 oz. reverse features artist Lisa Thomson Khan's design of a vividly coloured red maple leaf and Swarovski® element, as well as the opening bars to O Canada , officially adopted as Canada's national anthem in 1980;
- The colour-enhanced 2019 $10 Fine Silver Coin – 50th Anniversary of the Official Languages Act;
- The 2019 $500 Fine Silver Coin Brilliant Mastery in Canada , a collaboration between artists Cathy Sabourin and Tony Bianco who designed an ornate, five-kilogram pure silver coin showcasing Canada's provincial and national coats of arms;
- The 2019 $30 Fine Silver Coin – Majestic Birds In Motion: Great Horned Owls, a Pierre Leduc designed coloured coin featuring a multi-frame hologram emulating the motion of birds in flight;
- The 2019 Two-Coin Set - Yin and Yang, featuring Aries Cheung-designed pure gold and silver teardrop-shaped coins;
- The 2019 Holiday Gift Set;
- The 2019 $3 Fine Silver Coin – Celebrating Canadian Fun and Festivities – Wine Tasting, designed by Steve Hepburn ; and
- The 2019 $5 Fine Silver Coin – Zodiac Series: Libra, designed by Jori Van Der Linde .
All of these products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada , 1-800-268-6468 in the US, or on the Mint's web site. The coins are also available at Royal Canadian Mint' boutiques in Ottawa and Winnipeg , as well as through our global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.
About the Royal Canadian Mint
The Royal Canadian Mint is the Crown corporation responsible for the minting and distribution of Canada's circulation coins. The Mint is recognized as one of the largest and most versatile mints in the world, offering a wide range of specialized, high quality coinage products and related services on an international scale. For more information on the Mint, its products and services, visit www.mint.ca. Follow the Mint on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pulsating-maple-leaf-coin-another-world-first-300910623.html
SOURCE Royal Canadian Mint
View original content to download multimedia: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2019/03/c2279.html