SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwire - Dec 5, 2012) - Quantum Corp. (
Q-Cloud now directly supports NetBackup and Backup Exec software, enabling both backup applications to stay completely aware of all copies of data backed up to a Q-Cloud DXi® appliance. OST offers backup control across distributed sites and tiers of storage, providing application-aware replication for both NetBackup and Backup Exec. That capability can also leverage the deduplication-powered replication of OST-certified DXi appliances to move data between sites.
As a result of Q-Cloud's integration with OST, any NetBackup or Backup Exec user has two ways to leverage Q-Cloud:
- Back up locally to a Quantum physical or virtual DXi using NetBackup or Backup Exec and replicate a copy to a DXi appliance in the cloud using Symantec Optimized Duplication (OpDup).
- Use Symantec OST together with Quantum's free DXi Accent™ plug-in to back up directly to Q-Cloud, in cases where there is not a local DXi appliance.
DXi Accent deduplicates the data on the backup server and sends only new unique data to Q-Cloud. This approach eliminates the cost of on-premise hardware at remote locations, minimizes WAN costs, provides visibility from the backup application to the backup in the cloud, and enables backups to be stored securely and reliably in the cloud.
The combination of OST and Q-Cloud enables customers to build an archive in Q-Cloud, and restore files directly from a Q-Cloud copy even after the local copy has expired or been moved.
"Offering OST integration with Q-Cloud has particularly significant ramifications for midrange companies that use Symantec backup software," said Jason Buffington, senior data protection analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group. "For many IT managers, this could represent the easy, economical step from on-premise backup to cloud-based backup-as-a-service that they've been seeking."
"The combination of Q-Cloud and NetBackup or Backup Exec can offer a very cost-effective approach to customers who want to leverage their existing software with the easy scalability of cloud," said Henrik Rosendahl, senior vice president, Cloud Solutions, Quantum. "This makes the advantages of Q-Cloud available to many customers that previously had limited choices for their cloud solutions."
- For a technology brief and reference architecture describing how Q-Cloud can reduce cloud storage costs and increase backup speed with deduplication, including details on its support for OST, visit: https://iq.quantum.com/exLink.asp?10164096OK76W93I36771408
- Visit the Q-Cloud web page for an overview on its capabilities: http://www.quantum.com/Products/CloudServices/Q-Cloud/index.aspx
- For a cost calculator that allows users to calculate how much they can save using Q-Cloud compared with conventional cloud storage offerings, go to: http://www.quantum.com/CloudCalculator
- To read the ESG solution impact analysis, "Quantum Enables Protection of Virtualized Environments for Service Providers and Private Clouds," visit: BE CERTAIN - Protect Your Virtualized Environments
- Follow the latest Quantum happenings on Twitter: www.twitter.com/quantumcorp
- Join the Quantum conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/quantumcorp
Quantum is a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, providing specialized storage solutions for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 50,000 customers trust Quantum to help maximize the value of their data by protecting and preserving it over its entire lifecycle. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they're able to adapt in a changing world -- keeping more data longer, bridging from today to tomorrow, and reducing costs. See how at www.quantum.com/BeCertain.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, Be Certain, DXi, DXi Accent and Q-Cloud are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) customer benefits and value to customers from using Q-Cloud solutions and services, and 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such solutions and services are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. These risks include operational difficulties, unforeseen technical limitations, unexpected changes in market conditions and unanticipated changes in customers' needs or requirements, as well as the risks set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 9, 2012 and Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 14, 2012, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.