Ready to delete your Gmail account?
If you don't need your Gmail address anymore, you can remove it from your Google account.
Google warns that when you delete your Gmail, you will no longer be able to send or receive email at that address, though it may be possible to recover the Gmail account if you change your mind and no one else will be able to use the account in the future.
If you use Gmail through your job, school or another group, you should contact your administrator.
Word to the wise: Before you delete your Gmail account, consider downloading your data in case you need it in the future.
►Google creeping you out? How to stop Google from tracking what you type, watch or say
►Emailing an old friend or an old flame? How to find anyone’s email address online
How to delete your Gmail account
1. Go to your Google Account.
2. On the left, click “Data & privacy.”
3. Scroll to "Data from apps and services you use."
4. Under "Download or delete your data," click Delete a Google service.
5. Enter your password.
6. Next to "Gmail," click the trash can button.
7. Enter an existing email address you want to sign in to Google services with and click “Send verification email.” You cannot use another Gmail address.
8. Open the email from Google and click on the link to delete your account.
9. When prompted, select: "Yes, I want to delete my Gmail account."
10. Click “Delete Gmail” then “Done.”
Looking for more tech tips? USA TODAY has you covered.
Goodbye Instagram: How to delete or deactivate your Instagram account
It's over, Gmail: Here's a step-by-step guide on how to delete your Gmail account
Keep your favorite tunes: Leaving Spotify, Apple Music or other streaming services? How to bring your playlists with you
What is the Metaverse?: Everyone wants to own the metaverse including Facebook and Microsoft. But what exactly is it?
How to delete Facebook: Take these steps to permanently delete or deactivate your account
VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS: The best way to clean controllers, consoles
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Delete Gmail: Step-by-step guide on how to delete your Gmail account