SAN BRUNO, CA--(Marketwired - Dec 3, 2013) - Responsys, Inc. (
Responsys' survey found that highly relevant mobile messages can prompt consumers to follow through with purchases, particularly when those messages are part of an orchestrated customer experience that unfolds over time, across channels and according to an individual's behaviors and preferences. Seventy-six percent of smartphone owners plan to use their devices for holiday shopping this year2 so as the season gets underway -- a season that is shorter and expected to be more competitive than ever -- mobile marketing provides retailers with an opportunity to orchestrate more relevant, personalized customer experiences and impact sales at the same time.
Highlights of the survey findings include:
- Nearly a third (28 percent) of consumers have subscribed to mobile marketing from brands. However, 35 percent of those consumers indicate that the messages they receive are not relevant.
- Nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of consumers subscribed to mobile marketing indicate that they have made a purchase as a result of receiving a highly relevant mobile message.
- The types of mobile offers most likely to trigger consumer action are pricing-based (66 percent of consumers), time-sensitive (52 percent of consumers) and location-based (50 percent of consumers).
- Nearly half (46 percent) of consumers indicated that email is an effective trigger to prompt them to opt-in to mobile communications, second only to friend and family referrals (51 percent).
"Without a doubt, effective mobile marketing -- across SMS, mobile apps, push notifications and Passbook -- drives consumers to purchase and yet it seems that many marketers are missing out on this opportunity," said Michael Della Penna, Senior Vice President of Emerging Channels at Responsys. "However, it's not enough to add mobile as a standalone effort. Best in class marketers are leveraging first party data to drive relevance and are adopting multi-channel marketing orchestration to build highly differentiated experiences that accelerate sales. In fact, our survey found that consumers are over 40 percent more likely to purchase when mobile communications are part of an orchestrated marketing experience that unfolds over time and across channels."
"We've found incredible success with adding a mobile touch point to our already powerful email marketing program," said Megan Casey, Senior Marketing Manager at Kirkland's. "In fact, our mobile customers are much more engaged and they typically spend $10 more per transaction than the average consumer. Mobile is such an important piece of the customer experience and retailers that aren't delivering relevant content through this channel -- particularly during the holidays -- are missing out on an incredible opportunity to drive sales and build stronger customer relationships."
An infographic depicting the results of Responsys' research can be found here.
Suggested Tweet on Today's @Responsys News
- Click to Tweet: Retailers: #mobilemarketing could help you cut through the holiday clutter says new @Responsys research rpsys.co/eA
Connect with Responsys
- Like Responsys on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Responsys
- Follow @responsys on Twitter - https://www.twitter.com/Responsys
- Follow Responsys on LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/company/responsys
1 Ipsos Observer survey of 1,200 U.S. adults, representative of the online adult population, conducted from October 25 to November 6, 2013
2 Google 2013 Holiday Shopping Intentions Study, September 2013