LOS ANGELES, March 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- WGN America announced today that the sixth installment of its gripping, hit series, "Underground," slated to air at a special time on Wednesday, April 12 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT, will in its entirety feature a solo performance by Aisha Hinds ("Under the Dome," Star Trek Into Darkness), whose electrifying portrayal of Harriet Tubman has already captivated viewers and critics around the country. Tubman, the Underground Railroad's most famous conductor, risks her life repeatedly in order to free her family members and lead anyone willing to journey north across hostile territory, to freedom – a task she believes is her God-given mission.
"When introducing someone as iconic as Harriet Tubman, we felt compelled to attempt an episode as revolutionary as her spirit. When we learned through research in 1858 she began to give talks about her life to like-minded abolitionists to raise money for the cause, we knew we had our in: A 'Ted Talk' with Harriet Tubman," said "Underground" Creators, Writers and Executive Producers Misha Green and Joe Pokaski. "Our amazing crew, led by our director/executive producer Anthony Hemingway, set a beautiful stage for Aisha Hinds' powerhouse performance. And we can only hope we did Araminta 'Minty' Ross proud."
"This episode is truly one of a kind. It alone, masterfully revolutionizes TV storytelling," said Anthony Hemingway, "Underground" Director and Executive Producer. "Aisha surrenders herself to the spirit of Harriet Tubman and gracefully reintroduces us to Harriet's humanity by sharing her story, in a chillingly exceptional performance. I am extremely proud of the amazing artistry that every cast and crew member poured into making 'Underground,' it's the most exhilarating experience I've had as a filmmaker."
Hinds remarked, "Playing Harriet Tubman is both a great honor and also a tremendous call to duty as we examine how familiar the pain of our past can be felt in the present. In sight of and in spite of the overwhelming obstacles stacked against her, Harriet transcended bondage and inspired generations in the pursuit of liberty."
In the all-new, extended episode entitled, "Minty," written by series co-creators Misha Green and Joe Pokaski, and directed by Emmy and Golden Globe Award® winner Anthony Hemingway, Tubman delivers a monumental and definitive speech about her life, her divine purpose and the perilous but necessary fight for freedom. Set in 1858 against the backdrop of a nation deeply divided by race, class and gender, Tubman makes a passionate plea to abolitionists to shift their thinking as she challenges them to take swift action against those who are determined to oppress others. In a career defining move, Hinds unleashes a transcendent performance that is not to be missed. "Minty" will air on Wednesday, April 12 during a special time slot at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on WGN America, with back-to-back encore airings throughout the night.
Aisha Hinds' performance as Harriet Tubman is widely critically lauded, including this sampling of recent reviews:
- "Hinds' Tubman is a masterstroke" – Dominic Patten, Deadline
- "Aisha Hinds' rifle-toting Harriet Tubman only underlines how righteously fun and feminist the show has become." – Tim Goodman and Daniel Fienberg, Hollywood Reporter
- "Riveting performance by Aisha Hinds." – Mariya Moseley, Essence
- "…from the moment she appears onscreen, she oozes that larger-than-life image." – LaToya Ferguson, Entertainment Weekly
- "Offering the show's devoted fan base a living, breathing tribute to Tubman's heart, resourcefulness and courage that dusty history books couldn't possibly convey."– Lori Acken, TV Insider
- "Harriet Tubman, played by Aisha Hinds, brings the real-life hero…from historical figure to three-dimensional person this season." – Malcolm Venable, TV Guide
- "Aisha Hinds is a … bonafide scene-stealer… and heartstring puller." – Satchel B. Jester, Upscale Magazine
- "[Aisha Hinds'] most recent role to date is her finest — Harriet Tubman." – Monique Meneses, US Magazine
- "…incandescent, slyly funny Aisha Hinds"– Matt Brennan, Paste
- "Hinds channels all of the grit, gravitas and ungrammatical profundity of a mid-life Tubman with brilliant forte… She gives flesh, blood, sweat, and tears to Tubman in a way that we have never seen before." – Kelisha Graves, BlackFilm.com
- "Aisha Hinds is killing it at Harriet Tubman…I don't think anyone else could've have done a better job, and I'm loving everything about her." – Eddie Villanueva Jr., NerdReactor.com
- "Aisha Hinds makes her much-anticipated debut as Harriet Tubman and if there was ever a time where sistahs were doing it for themselves, this is it." – Krystal Franklin, BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM
- "Hinds… entrance is undeniably exciting." – Danette Chavez, AVLCUB.COM
- "A good character introduction is one of the greatest joys television can offer, and in the March 8 "Underground" season premiere, viewers were treated to two of them. [Aisha Hinds and Jasika Nicole] – Maureen Ryan, Variety
The 10-episode second season of "Underground" follows an unremitting struggle for freedom within a divided America on the brink of civil war, each side vying to enact their own justice. The celebrated season two cast includes: Jurnee Smollett-Bell ("Friday Night Lights," The Great Debaters), Aldis Hodge (Straight Outta Compton, Hidden Figures), Jessica de Gouw ("Arrow," "Dracula"), Alano Miller (Loving, "Atlanta"), Christopher Meloni ("Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," Sin City: A Dame to Kill For), Amirah Vann ("Girls," And So It Goes) and Marc Blucas ("Blue Bloods"). Additional guest stars this season include Aisha Hinds ("Under the Dome," Star Trek Into Darkness) in the pioneering role of Harriet Tubman, along with Bokeem Woodbine ("Fargo"), Jasika Nicole ("Fringe," "Scandal"), DeWanda Wise ("Shots Fired"), Michael Trotter ("Rosewood"), Jesse Luken ("Justified," 42), Sadie Stratton ("Code Black," "Boy Meets World"), Robert Christopher Riley ("Hit the Floor"), and Academy Award® and Golden Globe® winner and ten-time Grammy Award® winning singer-songwriter John Legend as renowned abolitionist Frederick Douglass.
Hailing from Sony Pictures Television, "Underground" is created and written by Misha Green ("Sons of Anarchy," "Heroes") and Joe Pokaski ("Heroes," "Daredevil"), who serve as Executive Producers alongside Emmy-winning director Anthony Hemingway ("The People v. O.J. Simpson," "Treme"); Academy Award-winning writer Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind, I Am Legend) of Weed Road Pictures; Tory Tunnell (King Arthur, Holy Rollers) and Joby Harold (King Arthur, Edge of Tomorrow) of Safehouse Pictures; John Legend, Mike Jackson and Ty Stiklorius of Get Lifted Film Co (La La Land, Southside with You); and Mark Taylor ("MadTV").
About WGN America
WGN America, the flagship entertainment network of Tribune Media Company (TRCO) is nationally distributed in approximately 80 million homes via cable, satellite and telco, with high-quality entertainment programming including the breakout hit series "Outsiders" and "Underground." The network also brings its audience a strong slate of popular first-run syndicated series and blockbuster movies. Follow the network on Twitter @wgnamerica. For additional information, please visit www.wgnamerica.com.
About Sony Pictures Television
Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry's leading content providers, producing and distributing programming worldwide in every genre and for every platform. In addition to managing one of the industry's largest libraries of award-winning feature films, television shows and formats, SPT is home to a thriving US production business and operates 17 wholly-owned or joint venture production companies in 13 countries around the world. SPT's worldwide networks portfolio includes 150 channel feeds, which are available in 178 countries reaching more than 1.3 billion cumulative households worldwide. Sony Pictures Television (SPT) is a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company.
Social Media Handles:
"Underground" cast on Twitter:
Jurnee Smollett-Bell @jurneesmollett
Aldis Hodge @AldisHodge
Alano Miller @AlanoMiller
Jessica de Gouw @jessdegouw
Amirah Vann @amirahvann
Christopher Meloni @Chris_Meloni
Marc Blucas @marcblucas
Aisha Hinds @AishaHinds
Jasika Nicole @TheJasikaNicole
DeWanda Wise @DeWandaWise
Jesse Luken @JesseLuken
Sadie Stratton @sadie_stratton
Robert C. Riley @RobRileyNYC
"Underground" creative team on Twitter:
John Legend @johnlegend
Misha Green @MishaGreen
Joe Pokaski @JoePokaski
Anthony Hemingway @shinybootz
Akiva Goldsman @AkivaGoldsman
Mike Jackson @mikejackson
Ty Stiklorius @tystiklorius
Links to View Trailers:
This Season on "Underground":
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-revolution-will-be-televised-300432853.html