WEST CALDWELL, N.J., Oct. 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. today announced it has added a full-featured, affordably-priced mid-range model to its pioneering line of Theta 360-degree spherical imaging cameras. Merging advanced imaging capabilities with simplified operation, the new Ricoh Theta SC is designed to appeal to the growing numbers of consumers interested in capturing and sharing 360-degree photos and videos.
Market demand for cameras that capture immersive imagery is on the rise, and experts predict that devices required for augmented- and virtual-reality experiences—such as 360-degree cameras and VR headsets—will be at the top of consumers' holiday 2016 gift lists.
Ricoh offers the industry's most extensive line of spherical imaging cameras, known for their high image quality, sleek design and ease of use. First introduced in 2013, Theta cameras are unique in their ability to allow consumers to record fully spherical images that show the entirety of a scene in photos or videos. The pocket-sized Theta SC is the fourth-generation Theta, joining the award-winning, top-of-the-line Theta S and entry-level Theta m15 series cameras.
Like its predecessors, the Theta SC boasts a stylish and sleek design, lending itself to quick and convenient operation. The camera can be handheld with one-button operation or placed on a flat surface or tripod to be remotely controlled by a smartphone and the newly updated Theta S app. It comes in a range of attractive colors including beige, blue, pink and white for a wide range of users.
The Theta SC delivers the same high level of image quality provided the Ricoh Theta S—with a high-performance CMOS image sensor and large-aperture dual lenses—in a more lightweight package. It captures 14-megapixel, high-resolution stills and records high-definition (HD) video clips up to five minutes in duration, in keeping with consumers' interest in shooting and sharing short video clips. The resulting spherical images can be easily uploaded to the dedicated theta360.com website; posted and shared via Facebook, Google+, Google Maps and YouTube; as well as shared via Twitter and Tumblr.
With the introduction of the Theta SC, Ricoh is also unveiling an updated Theta S app for iOS and Android devices. The newly updated Theta app is designed to be even easier to use—making capturing, viewing, managing and sharing fully spherical imagery a snap.
"Our goal is that the Theta SC will introduce more people to 360-degree spherical imaging," said Kaz Eguchi, president, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. "With the growing popularity of immersive imagery, augmented and virtual reality, we wanted to produce a high-quality camera at an affordable price point that appeals to anyone who is interested in capturing and sharing the world around them in this new, exciting digital imaging format."
| Pricing and Availability |
The Ricoh Theta SC is now at www.ricohimaging.com and retail outlets nationwide for a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $299.95.
| About Ricoh Theta |
The Ricoh Theta series camera is the brainchild of Ricoh's Visual Revolution or VR division, an organization that is focused on developing innovative consumer imaging technologies. The camera line's combination of small size, high quality imagery and incredible functionality are a result of Ricoh's many decades of experience in advanced imaging and optical technologies. The company has long been a leader in professional printers and copiers, and is known for its high-quality optics and optical components. A key achievement with the Theta series is an ultra-small twin-lens folded-optical system capable of capturing two wide-angle images and then marrying them into a single spherical image.
| About Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation|
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation is a subsidiary of Ricoh Company Ltd., a global technology company specializing in office imaging equipment, production print solutions, document management systems and IT services. Headquartered in Tokyo, Ricoh Group operates in about 200 countries and regions.
The company now known as Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation was originally founded in 1919, under the name Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co. and launched its first SLR camera in the 1950s under the PENTAX name. Today, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation continues to produce the heritage-rich, award-winning line of PENTAX DSLR cameras, lenses and sport optics equipment as well as Ricoh's offering of stylish and compact digital cameras, known for their wide-ranging, rich set of features.
For further information, please visit www.ricohimaging.com
© 2016 Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation. All rights reserved. All referenced product names are the trademarks of their respective companies.
For More Information, Contact:
Breakaway Communications for Ricoh
(408) 832-7626 - mobile
| Main Features |
1. High-resolution, fully spherical images
- The Ricoh Theta SC delivers high-resolution, fully spherical images with an approximately 14 megapixel output, thanks to the combination of bright, large-aperture twin-lens folded optics (with the same f/2.0 maximum aperture as the Theta S) and a large image sensor. Together they capture beautiful 360-degree images with minimal noise, even in low-light conditions. The completely redesigned user interface of the Theta app for smartphones and tablets provides intuitive operation, allowing users to easily make adjustments, change settings, upload images and much more.
- The Ricoh Theta SC allows the user to upload spherical images to the theta360.com dedicated website, and share them on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr. It is also possible to submit captured videos to 360-degree channels such as Google MapsTM, Google+TM and YouTubeTM.
2. High-resolution, fully spherical videos
- The Ricoh Theta SC captures high-resolution, fully spherical videos at Full HD quality (1920 x 1080 recorded pixels, 30 frames per second) for a duration of up to five minutes (after a synthesizing process). Once transferred to a smartphone or tablet using the Theta app, users can adjust the image size, shape and composition of videos with simple fingertip operation. Using the dedicated THETA+ Video image-editing applications,* users can easily edit captured videos.
- Just like fully spherical still images, the edited videos (a maximum data capacity of 5MB) can be uploaded to the theta360.com dedicated website, and shared on social networks.
* THETA+ Video applications operate on iOS8.0. or later, or Android 4.4 or later. Proper operation is not guaranteed with all mobile devices.
3. 360-degree Live-view display
- When synchronized with a smartphone or tablet computer, the Ricoh Theta SC provides Live-view display (still images only) on the device's monitor. This allows the user to check the outcome of various setting changes on the Live-view screen during shooting. The camera provides a choice of two display modes: Full Screen and Panorama.
4. Stylish and functional body design
- The Ricoh Theta SC is equipped with an LED indicator on its front panel for at-a-glance confirmation of the current mode, and a still-image/video switching button on the side panel. These controls let users operate the camera smoothly and unerringly even when it is disconnected from a smartphone or tablet computer.
5. Other features
- A large internal memory (approx. 8GB) for storage of approximately 1,600 still images (at L image size)
- Minimum start-up time lag of 1.5 seconds
- Self-timer function, with a delay time selectable from the Theta, smartphone or tablet
- Interval shooting function, convenient for creating time-lapse videos
- The THETA+ application can be used to edit still images and export images for printing
TH-2 Hard Case
- A weather resistant (IPX7), solid case designed to house the Ricoh Theta SC.
- This case provides a tripod socket for attachment of various camera accessories.
This case is not designed for underwater shooting. When the camera is housed in the case, shooting can be performed only through remote operation via a smartphone or tablet computer.
Body color (base section): Black
Compatible models: Ricoh Theta SC, Theta S, Theta m15, Theta
- Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
- Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter is a registered trademark of Twitter, Inc.
- Tumblr is a registered trademark of Tumblr, Inc.
- Instagram is a trademark of Instagram LLC.
- Android, Google maps, Google+ and YouTube are registered trademark of Google Inc.
- iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
- All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
- Designs and specifications are subjects to change without notice.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ricoh-unveils-theta-sc-a-full-featured-360-degree-camera-designed-to-appeal-to-a-broad-range-of-consumers-300343810.html