- Released in 2017, the Rolls-Royce Sweptail is the most expensive new car ever sold at $13 million.
- Crafted by the Rolls-Royce Bespoke department, the custom-built coupe was sold to an unidentified owner and is the first — and only one — of its kind.
How much would you be willing to pay for your own, one-of-a-kind luxury car? For one particularly wealthy Rolls-Royce customer, that answer was, well, quite a lot.
The world has seen its fair share of expensive luxury supercars, from the $3.26 million Bugatti Chiron Sport to the $4.5 million Lamborghini Veneno, but no new car can claim to match the astronomical price tag of Rolls-Royce’s Sweptail, a one-off coupe that cost its mystery owner a reported $13 million, according to automotive news site The Drive.
The handcrafted marvel manufactured by the Rolls-Royce Bespoke department made its debut in 2017 after four years of development and became the world’s most expensive new car ever sold, The Telegraph reported.
Featuring a panoramic glass roof and a design that “draws on the lineage of 1920s and 1930s Rolls-Royce motor cars,” the vehicle is unique; there will likely never be another one manufactured, making it one of the rarest cars in the world.
Check Out: 56 Splurges of the Filthy Rich
“Sweptail is a truly magnificent car,” said Torsten Müller-Otvös, CEO of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. “We are listening carefully to our most special customers and assessing their interest in investing in similar, completely exclusive coachbuilt masterpieces.”
Slightly More Accessible Splurges: 15 Insanely Expensive Things You Can Buy on Amazon Right Now
No details on how much the car costs to maintain or insure have been released, but it’s safe to assume that this “automotive equivalent of Haute Couture” requires a pretty penny to keep around.
Keep reading to see how much James Bond’s Aston Martin went up for at auction.
More on Business
- Future Is Gloomy for Retailers as They Cut Jobs and Shutter Stores
- How Your Favorite Brands Reinvented Themselves and Made Big Money
- How an Entrepreneur Grew Her Net Worth With an Old School Bus
This article originally appeared on GOBankingRates.com: This Rolls-Royce Is the Most Expensive New Car Ever Sold