There are many reasons you might be in dire need of a new phone, though perhaps one of the biggest complaints when it comes to any older cell phone is battery life. With companies like Apple, Samsung, OnePlus, Huawei, and Motorola recently rolling out new flagship devices, now is your chance to take advantage of slashed prices on quality smartphones that will blow your old model out of the water.
If your phone needs an update and you’re ready to score a discount on a new wireless device, here are a handful of smartphone deals available right now. The list includes a few sales on unlocked smartphones, as well as some carrier offers that can save you as much as $1,000. Getting a new phone doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg.
The best deal
Apple just unveiled the new iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max during its recent event at its Cupertino, California headquarters. On the surface, they don’t look much different than last year’s iPhone X, but they still boast Apple’s excellent displays, build quality, and aesthetics, paired with snappy updated hardware under the hood. If you skipped out on the iPhone X and are looking for an upgrade, the new XS and XS Max are excellent choices.
Being Apple products — and new ones at that — they are expensive, with the same steep sticker prices that the iPhone X had at launch, with the upgrade models being even more expensive than the 2018 flagships. Straight discounts are scarce for new releases, but the following rebate and BOGO offers can save you some serious cash (up to $1,000, in fact) if you’re in the mood to score the latest Cupertino tech:
- Sprint: Sprint might be offering the best iPhone XS deal of all the carriers right now, letting you score an iPhone XS totally free or an XS Max for just $75 ($4.17 per month) with the trade-in of an eligible last-gen Apple or Android flagship.
- Verizon: Verizon is offering a $700 rebate on a second iPhone (XS, XS Max, X, 8, or 8 Plus) when you purchase one iPhone XS or XS Max at its regular price. Alternatively, you can get $100 back toward your iPhone XS with a trade-in.
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile’s rebate deal gives you $300 back in bill credits toward your iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max with a qualifying trade-in device — a bit better than Verizon’s trade-in offer if you’re not looking to purchase two devices to get your rebate.
- AT&T: AT&T has a rebate deal similar to Verizon’s, giving you $700 toward another iPhone with the purchase of a new iPhone XS or XS Max.
More carrier smartphone deals
Cellular service providers regularly offer enticing incentives to get you to switch to their LTE plans. So if you’re looking for a new carrier, you can save a good chunk of change and even score a free device by taking advantage of one of the best smartphone deals from Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, or AT&T:
- AT&T: AT&T has a bundle of nice BOGO and rebate deals on name-brand Android and Apple flagships: Buy two iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9 Plus, Galaxy Note 9, or LG V35 ThinQ smartphones on AT&T Next and enjoy between $700 and $900 back in bill credits toward the value of the second phone (rebate amount varies by model). Alternatively, you can get an LG V30 totally free via bill credits (totaling $800) when you order one on AT&T Next.
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile is also offering discounts and rebate deals on a number of flagships. You can score a big rebate on an LG V30, LG G7 ThinQ, Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy Note 8, or Galaxy Note 9 when you purchase two of these devices (either outright or on an installment plan). You’ll receive bill credits worth up to $750 toward your second phone. Apple deals let you take $300 off the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone X with a qualifying trade-in.
- Verizon: Verizon Wireless is offering BOGO and rebate deals on a ton of Apple and Android phones right now. With a qualifying trade-in, you can take $300 off a Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2XL, Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9 Plus, Galaxy Note 9, LG V30, or LG G7 ThinQ when you purchase one of these devices and add a new line. The Samsung Galaxy Note8 is also on sale for $200 off with no trade-in necessary. For Apple deals, you can get $700 off of a second iPhone when you buy a iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone X.
- Sprint: Sprint currently has some big discounts on Android and Apple devices, letting you get $450 back when you buy an iPhone X or iPhone 8 if you add two new lines or one new line with a one-line upgrade — no trade-ins required. The iPhone 8 is also on sale by itself for $144 and the iPhone 8 Plus for $219 with a new line. Android deals let you score the Samsung Galaxy S9 for $162, the Galaxy S9 Plus for $252, or the Galaxy Note 9 for $270 when you purchase one on an 18-month rent-to-own Sprint Flex lease.
Unlocked smartphone deals
Carrier offers typically require you to sign up for a specific service or trade in an old device to get your discount. These smartphone deals, on the other hand, let you enjoy big savings on these unlocked mobile phones when you buy them outright:
- Blu R1 HD: Blu is a relatively new player that has challenged Motorola’s dominance in the “budget Android phone” market. If you came here looking for one of the cheapest unlocked Android phones on our list, then check out the R1 HD. The unlocked 5.2-inch model rings in at just $100 ($30 off) from Amazon.
- Moto G6: The Moto G is still one of the best budget Android smartphones on the market today. Prime members can score the unlocked sixth-generation Moto G for $220 from Amazon, and the G6 Play is also on sale for $190. No Prime membership? No problem — B&H has the G6 on sale for just $230 and the G6 Play for $200.
- Huawei Honor 7X: Huawei has a number of budget-friendly alternatives to brand-name flagships. Its surprisingly great Honor 7X is a sleeper hit that you may have missed, and it’s an absolute steal at just $200 from Amazon.
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2: We’ve seen no shortage of alleged “flagship killers” that too often fall short of expectations, but the new Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 actually lives up to this promise. This budget-friendly dual-sim smartphone punches well above its weight at just $365 from Amazon after a nice $335 price cut.
- Nokia 6.1: The Nokia 6.1 is all-new for 2018, and it’s arguably the best budget Android phone to come out this year, with hardware that outshines most other cheap smartphones. Amazon has it for $229, while B&H has unlocked models in stock now for $230.
- Essential Phone: The Essential Phone is another newcomer to the smartphone scene, and it’s a winner. It’s got a great bezel-less design, a large and vibrant HD display, and excellent hardware under the hood. It’s on sale on Amazon right now for as low as $310 ($190 off), one of the lowest prices we’ve seen yet.
- Sony Xperia XA1: Sony’s Xperia X lineup remains highly underrated in the huge market of Android smartphones, with these devices offering flagship-like features at midrange prices. The Xperia XA1 is a shining example of the value that Sony’s phones provide and comes in at just $215 from Amazon with a $84 discount.
- Moto E4: For one of the cheapest brand-name Android phones you can buy, check out the 4th-generation Moto E. You can score the E4 for $80 from Best Buy if you activate it today. If you don’t want to activate right away, then both B&H and Walmart have this smartphone in stock for a still-affordable $130. This phone is fully unlocked and ready to use with any GSM carrier and select CDMA carriers.
- Google Pixel: Another fantastic 2017 flagship (and one of our favorites) is the Google Pixel XL. You can grab an unlocked 32GB model for $349 from Amazon and save $301 off of its retail price. B&H also has the larger Pixel XL on sale for $340, or $460 off.
We strive to help our readers find the best deals on quality products and services, and choose what we cover carefully and independently. If you find a better price for a product listed here, or want to suggest one of your own, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.