OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Feb 20, 2013) - Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is looking for the next wave of innovative cleantech entrepreneurs with the announcement of our call for applications to the SD Tech Fund™ from February 20th to April 17th, 2013.
"This is an exciting time for Canada''s cleantech industry, projected to grow to generate as much as $62 billion in revenues by 2020," said SDTC President and CEO Vicky Sharpe. "SDTC is excited to meet and work with another set of cleantech entrepreneurs, bringing technologies to market and changing the way business is being done."
On behalf of the Government of Canada, SDTC finances and supports the late-stage development and pre-commercial demonstration of clean technologies. Through its SD Tech Fund™, SDTC helps companies through the critical juncture when capital and scaling costs become challenges and the risk profile deters other investors.
SDTC supports technologies that address the challenges of Climate Change, Clean Air, Soil and Water, including technology solutions focused on these current priority areas:
- Natural Resources: Mitigate environmental impacts associated with Canada''s natural resource sector including "green mining", cleaner fossil fuels and forestry.
- Clean Energy: Enable cleaner energy production, including natural gas, and improved energy efficiency of transportation, the built environment and industrial processes.
- Agriculture: Increase yield and improve temperature and drought resistance of agricultural crops and mitigate land-use changes and biodiversity loss.
- Northern/Remote Communities: Innovative solutions for self-sufficiency in smaller communities.
- Packaged Solutions: Integrated technology packages that combine one or more clean technologies, such as renewable energy generation, energy storage, and waste and wastewater management.
The SDTC portfolio is currently comprised of 245 clean technology projects, for a total value of $2.1 billion, of which over $1.5 billion is leveraged primarily from the private-sector.
It should be noted, however, that the SD Tech Fund™ has been fully allocated. The availability and timing of funding for future rounds is dependent on SDTC receiving additional support in 2013.
On behalf of the Government of Canada, SDTC helps commercialize Canadian clean technologies, readying them for growth and export markets. With a portfolio of companies under management valued at more than $2 billion, SDTC is positioning cleantech as a driver of jobs, productivity and economic prosperity.
SDTC operates two funds aimed at the development and demonstration of innovative technological solutions. The $590 million SD Tech Fund™ supports projects that address climate change, air quality, clean water, and clean soil. The $500 million NextGen Biofuels Fund™ supports the establishment of first-of-kind large demonstration-scale facilities for the production of next-generation renewable fuels.
SDTC works with the private sector, the financial sector and all levels of government to meet the Government of Canada''s commitment to create a healthy environment and a high quality of life for all Canadians. SDTC operates as a not-for-profit corporation. www.sdtc.ca.