Millennials and Gen-Zers, say goodbye to the David Hasselhoff “SpongeBob” cameos of your childhood. According to the “Sponge on the Run” trailer, Keanu Reeves, or rather his floating head, will make an appearance in the upcoming film premiering May 22, 2020.
The latest film in the SpongeBob franchise follows the yellow sponged hero and his friend Patrick as they set off on the road in their search to find SpongeBob’s lost snail Gary.
More from Variety
- Viacom Chief Bob Bakish Talks Paramount's Rebound, Pluto TV Growth
- Paramount Lands Damien Chazelle's 'Babylon,' Dates It for Christmas 2021
- Adam McKay Signs First-Look Deal With Paramount Pictures
“Call me Sage. I’m made of sage and I am a sage, so it works out pretty well,” Reeves says to the duo, to which the affable but not-so-smart companion responds by saying, “I’m Patrick, my name means ‘toaster’ in Celtic.”
Along with an updated Patty-mobile, the trailer also shows SpongeBob and Patrick falling prey to ice cream, churros, cotton candy and the dangers of gambling after stumbling upon the lost city of Atlantic City.
The animated feature film produced by Ryan Harris consists of voices including Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Awkwafina, Carolyn Lawrence, Roger Bumpass and Clancy Brown, among others. Tim Hill directed and wrote the movie alongside Jonathan Aibel, Glenn Berger, Jordan Dunn, Michael Kvamme, Kyle McCulloch and Paul Tibbitt. “SpongeBob” creator Stephen Hillenburg will also receive a posthumous writing credit.
Best of Variety
- Emmys Trivia: 20 Surprising Facts From 2019's Nominations
- Listen: Hugh Grant on Why He Would Kill Social Media if He Could
- Every Oscar Best Picture Winner