We're closing in on all-time highs for the Dow and S&P 500. Will huge earnings reports coming up push us over the hump? Catch The Final Round with Yahoo Finance editor-in-chief Andy Serwer and Jen Rogers.
Sheila Bair on student loan debt and the banks
Outstanding student loan debt is well over $1.3 trillion nationwide, and it keeps climbing. Sheila Bair, the former FDIC chairperson and now president of Washington College, recently launched a program to reduce the debt of graduating seniors at her school by hundreds of thousands of dollars. She spoke to The Final Round about student-loan debt and breaking up the banks.
Winners and losers
Here's a look at stocks getting hit today:
• For-profit education company DeVry on a BofA/Merrill Lynch downgrade
• Tupperware, getting sliced after issuing weaker-than-expected current quarter guidance
• Coca Cola, fizzing after quarterly revenue missed estimates and worldwide volumes that were below forecast
And here some stocks swinging higher today:
• Yahoo, our parent company, as investors stay focused on the ongoing sales process that reportedly has Verizon in the driver's seat
• Virtualization firm VMWare, on a stock buyback and strong current quarter revenue guidance
• Angie's List, getting positive reviews from investors after reporting traffic growth as it switches from a paid to 'freemium' model
- We'll have big earnings reports from Microsoft, Google, and Under Armour after the bell and live for you on tomorrow's show.
- DISH Network customers may lose Viacom channels starting tomorrow. As the battle over carriage fees continues, channels like MTV and Comedy Central could be wiped off program guides at midnight, according to Dish CEO Charlie Ergen. There is time still to make a deal.
- Finally - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II turns 90 years young tomorrow. She'll celebrate her birthday during the day with a walk around Windsor, then at night she'll be accompanied by Prince Philip, the Prince of Wales, and the Duchess of Cornwall, to light the first in a chain of over 900 worldwide beacons.