Here's the scoreboard:
Dow Jones Industrial Average: 24,360.21 +2.89 (+0.01%)
S&P 500: 2,668.14 −4.49 (-0.17%)
AUD/USD: 0.7451 -0.0059 (-0.79%)
ASX 200 SPI futures: 6,088.5 +6.50 (+0.11%)
- President Donald Trump said the US will withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal. Oil prices, which fell sharply earlier in the day, pared losses following the announcement.
- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is en route to North Korea. Some experts worry volatility that has surrounded the Iran deal could undermine talks.
- Crude production in the US is expected to rise to more than previously thought next year. A report by the Energy Information Administration showed output increasing to 12 million barrels per day by the end of 2019.
- Comcast is working to outbid Walt Disney for key 21st Century Fox assets. Shares of Walt Disney fell following the news, first reported by Reuters.
- Shares of MoviePass parent company Helios & Matheson Analytics crashed more than 30% after releasing updated financial details. The company disclosed a cash burn of more than $20 million each month.
Here is Wednesday's economic calendar:
- The US reports weekly crude inventories and monthly producer price index data.
- New Zealand announces rate decisions.
- Elon Musk calls out Tesla skeptics in a tweetstorm 2 days after his confrontational earnings call
- Traders are turning their backs on stocks at the fastest pace since the financial crisis — and it's a situation that's threatening to spiral out of control
- Stocks tumble as Fed holds rates steady and corporate earnings disappoint