WOONSOCKET, RI--(Marketwire - Sep 17, 2012) - Summer Infant® (
These materials -- created as an easy-to-use resource for parents and other in-home childcare providers like grandparents and babysitters -- include a printable emergency contact sheet and a collection of safety tips for various areas both inside and outside the home.
The resources can be found at www.summerinfant.com/safetytips, and includes tips such as:
- Remove loose materials -- such as blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, and toys -- from a baby's crib or sleeping area.
- Babies can drown in just an inch of water, so NEVER leave an infant alone in or near a tub. That means ignoring phone calls, text messages, doorbells, or other distractions. ALWAYS keep child within adult's reach.
- All electrical cords and electronic devices -- such as baby monitors, bottle warmers, and soothers -- should be kept at least three feet away from the crib and child's reach.
"At Summer Infant, it's always been our goal to design and distribute products that offer a safe environment for baby, while also providing peace of mind for caregivers. And that inspiration has led to our focus on safe sleep and the line of SwaddleMe® sleeping blankets, a number of award-winning baby video monitors, as well as the Prodigy car seat -- the industry's easiest car seat to install," said Jason Macari, CEO and President of Summer Infant. "We've made a real effort to look at the places where our children are most vulnerable and develop products that help keep them safer. It was a natural progression to take that idea one step further by creating this online resource for parents and caregivers. We'll continue to build it throughout the year, adding blog posts, articles, and tips from medical experts that address a number of safety issues."
On the Summer Infant website, social media channels, and at consumer events, the company features pediatric experts Dr. Alan Greene and Dr. Alanna Levine to offer safety best practices to new and expectant moms.
Summer Infant distributes safety items in a number of categories, ranging from car seats, baby monitors, and safety gates to feeding, safe sleep, and more. Some of the company's products include:
Prodigy Infant Car Seat
Current estimates are that 70% of all car seats are installed incorrectly. In response, Summer Infant developed the Prodigy Infant Car Seat -- recipient of a 5-star Ease of Use Rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in every category: Evaluation of Labels, Evaluation of Instructions, Securing the Child, and Installation Features. A 5-Star Rating is the highest possible score.
Prodigy is a leader in the category and is the first infant car seat to ensure a safe and secure fit for baby every time, with unique features like:
- Smart screen technology: The smart screen digital display guides users through a simple three-step installation process, displaying a green smiley face after each step has been completed correctly.
- Belt tightening system: A one-handed belt tightening system easily fastens the base firmly to the car, eliminating the need to use knee or seat pressure.
- SafeGuard® 1Adjust™: The SafeGuard 1Adjust harness system adjusts automatically to baby's shoulder height every time for a safe, secure fit.
The SwaddleMe wrap is a blanket designed to easily swaddle newborns, keeping them sleeping safely on their backs and replacing loose blankets that can be dangerous in the crib. Through SwaddleMe, Summer Infant is a proud partner with the March of Dimes.
Summer Infant is a leader in developing advances in baby video monitors. In July, Summer Infant introduced Peek Plus™ -- its first truly plug-and-play Internet viewable camera and monitor set. With it, parents use a secure Internet portal to view baby from a computer, tablet, or downloadable smart phone application.
Summer Infant distributes a number of safety gates to fit openings from 36- to 60-inches wide and up to 32-inches tall. Many varieties are available depending on the needs in the home, and most feature one-handed opening and automatic closing. Because toddlers can climb both up and down stairs, experts recommend installing gates at the bottom of stairways, and Summer Infant offers styles that accommodate both top and bottom of stairways. The gates are hardware or pressure mounted.
About Summer Infant, Inc.
Based in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, the company is a designer, marketer and distributor of branded durable juvenile health, safety and wellness products for ages 0-3 years, which are sold principally to large U.S. retailers. The company sells proprietary products in a number of different categories, including nursery audio/video monitors, safety gates, bath products, bed rails, nursery products, booster and potty seats, infant bedding, bouncers, travel accessories, highchairs, swings and nursery furniture.