Continued support of the Westside part of ongoing SunTrust Foundation commitment to the City of Atlanta
ATLANTA, May 2, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The SunTrust Foundation announced today it awarded grants totaling $250,000 to 10 nonprofit organizations that are committed to positively impacting Atlanta's historic Westside neighborhoods. The 10 nonprofit organizations were recently recognized as Community Beacon Award recipients at the inaugural Beloved Benefit at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The event raised more than $5 million to support the ongoing revitalization of the Westside.
"We are proud to assist these outstanding nonprofit organizations and support their tireless work to serve and strengthen the Westside community," said Stan Little, president of the SunTrust Foundation. "Together, these nonprofits represent the holistic approach to community stewardship that drives sustainable financial well-being."
The 10 grants will support efforts spanning culture, environmentalism, health, housing, social services, veterans, youth and human trafficking – all within the Westside.
"We are pleased that these grants from the SunTrust Foundation align with the continued commitment that SunTrust Bank has to the city of Atlanta and the historic Westside community," said Jenna Kelly, president of the Georgia Division at SunTrust Bank. "Each of these 10 nonprofits contributes to a vibrant, healthy Atlanta, and we are honored to be part of the work they're doing."
The SunTrust Foundation presented the following 10 nonprofits as recipients of these grants:
- The Atlanta Music Project – The Atlanta Music Project believes the pursuit of musical excellence leads to the development of confidence, creativity and ambition, thus sparking positive social change.
- West Atlanta Watershed Alliance – The West Atlanta Watershed Alliance works toward environmental justice, fosters environmental stewardship, protects greenspace and water quality in West Atlanta and educates residents about environmental issues.
- Good Samaritan Health Center – "Good Sam" serves individuals and families who have the least access to health care and are at the highest risk of having serious health issues remain undiagnosed and untreated.
- Quest Community Housing – The mission of Quest is to develop affordable housing and provide needs-based community services to enhance the quality of life for underserved individuals and families.
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation – Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation is the largest provider of pro bono legal services in the Greater Atlanta area.
- Antioch Urban Ministries Incorporated – Antioch Urban Ministries Incorporated provides comprehensive substance abuse recovery services to persons who are homeless, low income, recently released from incarceration or are living with HIV/AIDS. The organization also provides essential services to families through a food and clothing bank, internet access, job search and other social support services.
- Veterans Empowerment Organization (VEO) – VEO provides homeless veterans supportive housing and wrap-around services on their journey back to an empowered and fulfilled life.
- L.E.A.D. – L.E.A.D. empowers an at-risk generation to lead and transform Atlanta and offers year-round programming to inspire and equip young black males to live a life of significance.
- Raising Expectations – Raising Expectations empowers youth in crises by raising academic, social and civic expectations to facilitate high school graduation and postsecondary plans.
- BeLoved Atlanta – BeLoved Atlanta provides support and a residential home to women seeking freedom from human trafficking and addiction.
The Chick-fil-A Foundation and Mercedes-Benz Stadium presented the Beloved Benefit, and SunTrust Foundation served as a Community Beacon patron with The Home Depot Foundation, Georgia Power, Peach Bowl, Inc., WestRock Foundation, AT&T Communications, Choate Construction Company, The Coca-Cola Company, Sunkist, Kaiser Permanente and UPS as sponsors.
About SunTrust Foundation
The SunTrust Foundation is committed to SunTrust Bank's (STI) purpose of Lighting the Way to Financial Well-Being by engaging with local and national organizations to advance financial confidence. Grants and activities focus primarily on financial education, financial counseling, career readiness and small business/entrepreneurship, in addition to local community grants. The SunTrust Foundation supports American Red Cross disaster relief efforts and contributes as a United Way Global Corporate Leader. Established in 2008, the SunTrust Foundation has proudly provided grants totaling more than $170 million throughout the United States.
About the Beloved Benefit
Based on the idea of the Beloved Community amplified by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the Beloved Benefit was born out of respect for inclusivity and collaboration of all Atlantans. The annual event brings business leaders, nonprofits and community members to the table, side-by-side, for the opportunity to not only learn about each other, but also build a foundation for future work together. The Beloved Benefit at Mercedes-Benz Stadium is representative of Atlanta, with musical acts, food and performances that highlight the city's vibrancy and diversity. More information about the Beloved Benefit is available at www.belovedbenefit.org.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/suntrust-foundation-awards-250-000-in-grants-to-10-westside-atlanta-nonprofits-through-beloved-benefit-300843011.html