MISSION, KS--(Marketwired - May 2, 2013) - (Family Features) In the warm summer months, nothing beats spending time together creating fun snacks that promote healthy eating and a little creativity.
The summer boasts a wealth of fresh fruit to draw inspiration from -- especially everyone's favorite -- watermelon. Its cool, juicy flavor speaks to your senses. Plus, it's packed with key vitamins and minerals, so it's a snack you can feel good about serving to your family.
Fabulously Fresh Ideas
Kick off this fun-in-the-sun season and make memories with fresh ideas that get the whole family involved. Create a splash at your next barbeque or summer party with this adorable Mermaid Tail. Fashioned from watermelon rinds, your family will love to help you create this masterpiece as well as devour it. Need to perk up lunch? Your family will love mixing and matching their own flavor combinations with Watermelon Sandwich Wraps. These healthy, edible creations are sure to bring about many smiles.
You can find more sweet summertime recipes and ideas at www.watermelon.org.
Wacky Watermelon Facts
- The first recorded watermelon harvest occurred in Egypt some 5,000 years ago.
- Watermelon is the most consumed melon in the U.S., followed by cantaloupe and honeydew.
- Early explorers used watermelons as canteens to store liquids.
- To date, the world's heaviest watermelon was recorded in 2005 and weighed in at 268.8 pounds.
- Watermelon is made up of 92 percent water.
1 large oblong seeded or seedless watermelon
Kitchen knife and paring knife
Large bowl and spoon or scoop
Green dry erase marker
Dowels and toothpicks
Optional decorations (found at any craft store): Edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust, mermaid cookie cutters, light blue or turquoise fabric or mermaid decorations.
1. Wash watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
2. On cutting board, place watermelon on its side and cut off 4 inches from one end of watermelon to provide a sturdy base. Cut remaining watermelon in half lengthwise.
3. Hollow out both halves of the watermelon with spoon or scoop, reserving watermelon pieces to dice up for serving or cutting out mermaid shapes.
4. Use dry erase marker to trace mermaid tail freehand lengthwise across one entire half. With knife of your choice, carefully trim away to form the outline of mermaid tail. Use the channel knife to form scales and details.
5. For added detail, brush on edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust (purchased at cake decorating store or craft store).
6. Use pencil-sized dowels to secure the mermaid tail to top of base. Decorate with watermelon cubes or mermaid watermelon cutouts and serve.
If using the mermaid watermelon cutouts as topper for cupcakes, as shown, add watermelon cutout with toothpick or small dowel first and then ice around it.
Watermelon Sandwich Wraps
Tortillas: Wheat, flour, corn, spinach or sun-dried tomato
Spreads: Chive cream cheese, hummus, guacamole, Greek yogurt
Meats: Turkey, ham, chicken breast, roast beef or pepperoni
Sauces (marinades and salad dressings): BBQ, ranch, pesto, Thai peanut sauce, teriyaki, ginger
Cheeses: Feta, pepper Jack, mozzarella
Veggies and other toppings: Watercress, olives, scallions, cilantro, romaine, jalapenos, fresh mint, basil, shredded carrots, spinach, sprouts and cucumber slices
1 watermelon spear: about 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch wide and as long as your tortilla
Create your own combination or try one of these. Start with a spread to help stick other fillings together. Place toppings in center of tortilla with the watermelon spear on top. Roll tortilla over watermelon spear, tucking in all ingredients. Fasten with toothpick if needed.
English Tea Sandwich Wrap: Flour tortilla, chive cream cheese, ham, watermelon, watercress
Greek Wrap: Spinach tortilla, plain Greek yogurt, feta cheese, watermelon, black olives
Latin Watermelon Wrap: Flour tortilla, ham, watermelon, cilantro, guacamole, scallions, pepper Jack cheese, jalapeno
Southwest Chicken Wrap: Corn or flour tortilla, guacamole, pepper Jack cheese, spicy chicken, romaine lettuce, watermelon, bacon ranch dressing, salsa
Watermelon Caprese Wrap: Flour tortilla, pepperoni, watermelon, mozzarella, basil, pesto sauce
Thai Peanut Chicken Wrap: Wheat tortilla, roasted chicken, Bibb lettuce, Thai peanut sauce, carrots, watermelon, cilantro
Southwest Veggie Wrap: Spinach tortilla, cucumber, watermelon, cilantro, Swiss cheese, BBQ ranch dressing, guacamole
Mid Eastern Veggie Wrap: Wheat tortilla, hummus with pine nuts, mint, thin cucumber slices, watermelon
Ginger Chicken Wrap: Wheat tortilla, teriyaki ginger sauce, chicken, sprouts, watermelon, sweet chili and ginger, Bibb lettuce
Hawaiian Wrap: Spinach tortilla, pineapple cream cheese, sweet chile with ginger, ham, watermelon
Breakfast Push Pops
Diced watermelon chunks
Yogurt of choice
Push pop molds, sold at most restaurant supply stores
Layer watermelon, yogurt and granola into molds and top with yogurt and watermelon chunks. Freeze push pop molds and enjoy.
|Watermelon Strawberry Mint Salsa|
|1||cup diced watermelon (seeds removed)|
|3/4||cup diced strawberries|
|1/4||cup diced red onion|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves|
|2||tablespoons diced seeded jalapeno chile|
|1||tablespoon lime juice|
|1||teaspoon sugar (optional, to taste)|
Gently stir together all ingredients in bowl. Let stand to blend flavors, about 1 hour. For a dynamite combination, serve salsa with Caribbean or jerk seasoned grilled items, or with pretzels.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.