HOUSTON, Nov. 26, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sysco Corporation (SYY), the leading global foodservice distribution company, today released its 2018 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report titled "Delivering A Better Tomorrow.”
The report details the Company’s CSR activities and accomplishments for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2018. Additionally, the report expands on the Company’s continued commitment to CSR with its recently announced 2025 Responsibility Goals in the People, Products and Planet pillars.
Highlights from Sysco’s 2018 Corporate Social Responsibility Report include:
- Launched Nourishing Neighbors – a giving program supporting local communities with 75 percent of funds going to hunger relief organizations.
- Conducted training for more than 5,000 Sysco leaders on Diversity and Inclusion fundamentals, inclusive leadership and unconscious bias.
- Provided product health information to more than 23,000 users through our eNutrition database.
- Continued to advance our commitment to sustainable seafood, supporting 14 fishery improvement projects (FIPs) since 2010.
- Updated and published new Global Supplier Code of Conduct.
- Conducted 160 third-party social compliance assessments for Sysco Brand suppliers across 17 countries.
- Signed a 10-year renewable energy agreement for solar power, supporting the majority of the Company’s electricity load in Texas and accounting for about 10 percent of Sysco’s U.S. electricity usage.
- Recycled more than 40,000 tons of waste since 2014, saving more than 500,000 trees. Partnered with more than 8,000 canned and frozen fruit and vegetable growers to advance sustainable agriculture practices.
“At Sysco, we are proud to be the global leader in foodservice distribution and recognize that with leadership, comes responsibility,” said Tom Bené, chairman, president and chief executive officer, Sysco. “We aim to lead our industry in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives and our 2025 goals are foundational as we progress our CSR journey. Whether the task is feeding the hungry in our communities, doing more to promote the health and well-being of associates and consumers, taking action to make agriculture more sustainable, or lowering the carbon footprint of our operations, Sysco is poised to be at the leading edge of change.”
The report is formatted to meet Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards, is mobile-friendly and can be viewed here.
Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from home. Its family of products also includes equipment and supplies for the foodservice and hospitality industries. With more than 67,000 associates, the company operates approximately 330 distribution facilities worldwide and serves more than 600,000 customer locations. For fiscal 2018 that ended June 30, 2018, the company generated sales of more than $58 billion.
For more information, visit www.sysco.com or connect with Sysco on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SyscoCorporation or Twitter at https://twitter.com/Sysco. For important news and information regarding Sysco, visit the Investor Relations section of the company’s Internet home page at investors.sysco.com, which Sysco plans to use as a primary channel for publishing key information to its investors, some of which may contain material and previously non-public information. Investors should also follow us at www.twitter.com/SyscoStock and download the Sysco IR App, available on the iTunes App Store and the Google Play Market. In addition, investors should continue to review our news releases and filings with the SEC. It is possible that the information we disclose through any of these channels of distribution could be deemed to be material information.
For more information contact:
Investor & Media Contact