CEDAR RAPIDS, IA--(Marketwire - Nov 1, 2012) - TaxACT 2012 Free Federal Edition is now available as an app for iPad® and Android™ tablets. The tablet app gives all taxpayers another convenient way to do their federal taxes free, securely and accurately -- anytime, anywhere.
TaxACT is the first to offer a mobile tax preparation app allowing users secure access to returns through the tablet app and a browser via TaxACT Online® with the same username and password. Unlike tablet and smartphone tax preparation apps for 2011 returns, TaxACT users can create a return through either the tablet app or online at www.taxact.com, and then use both locations interchangeably.
Tablet owners don't have to download the app to use TaxACT. All TaxACT Online products are optimized for tablet browsers.
An updated version of the app with 2012 IRS forms will be released in early January, along with final versions of TaxACT Online and download 2012 federal and state products. E-file will also be available in January.
In the meantime, taxpayers can use the current version (Preview) of TaxACT 2012 Free Federal Edition to estimate their federal taxes for year-end tax planning and get an early start on returns due April 15, 2013.
Like the web-based and download versions, the TaxACT Free Edition tablet app includes:
- All e-fileable forms for simple and complex returns
- 3 guarantees -- maximum refund, 100% accuracy and satisfaction
- Unlimited tax help in the Answer Center, online and directly from TaxPayer Support Specialists via email
- Notification of e-file status in your return, online, via TaxACT Central (free companion app for smartphones), plus options for email and SMS text updates
- Guidance for 1 Life Event plus hurricanes and other disasters
- College Financial Aid Worksheet with required tax data for FAFSA
- Alerts and Examiners to warn of potential errors and tax-savings opportunities
- Free Audit Assistant
- Fast and easy State return for as little as $14.95 (price at the time of registration becomes the guaranteed price when filing)
Tablet app users can upgrade to TaxACT Deluxe risk-free at any time. Deluxe product payment isn't required until users file, access phone support or preview tax forms. Like Free Federal Edition, users can create, prepare and e-file Deluxe returns through the tablet app and browsers with the same username and password.
TaxACT Deluxe includes import of last year's TaxACT return and extra tax tools and help, including:
- W-2, investment and GainsKeeper® data imports, plus fast data entry
- TaxTutor Guidance with new tax tips, explanations and hints written by TaxACT CPAs and accountants
- Preview of completed tax forms upon product payment
- Donation Assistant® with audit-backed values for maximizing deductions for donations
- Unlimited tax and technical help by phone upon product payment
Users can switch to and from the tablet app and browser to prepare Free Edition, Deluxe or State returns; however, the location of product payment is where users must e-file or print returns.
Learn more about TaxACT's tablet app and link to the stores to download at http://www.taxact.com/mobile-taxes/income-tax-tablet-app/.
TaxACT, made by 2nd Story Software®, is the critically acclaimed leader of affordable digital and download tax preparation solutions for consumers, business owners and tax professionals. In the 2005 tax season, TaxACT became the first to offer free federal tax software and free e-file to all U.S. taxpayers. TaxACT has been the 2nd most visited online destination for tax preparation services for the past seven consecutive years1. Since 2000, TaxACT Online has assisted with more than 38 million e-filed federal returns. TaxACT is a business of Blucora™ (
1 According to collective week end reports for taxact.com and taxactonline.com released by Hitwise™ during the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 tax seasons.